Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Must-Haves for Newborns?

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 41 Replies

Son #2 is due on Christmas Eve and I'm trying to decide what I absolutely need for when he gets here.  My first came 6 years ago and I wasn't planning to have another child, so I got rid of EVERYTHING.  He was also in the NICU for a few months after he was born so a lot of the "firsts" were done by the hospital.  He ate by feeding tube so I'm a little ignorant about feeding, but I am going to try breastfeeding.  Any recommendations on gear that were "lifesavers" when you first came home?  My fiance is stationed in a different state so he will only be with me for about a month after the baby's born so I will be on my own as well.  Any advice is appreciated!  Thank you! 

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Beautiful31mom
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Those pajama sack things, the ones that look like a nightgown almost. We used them with all 3 boys, I loved them!

Diapers

wipes

Carseat

Baby Swing.

ColoradoMom86
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm definitely going to need a bouncy seat!  Thanks for reminding me.  My son loved his.  I am really kicking myself for getting rid of all of his stuff; I kept it for almost 6 years.  I got rid of it last December and got pregnant with this baby in March.

banging head into wall

Quoting Beautiful31mom:

Those pajama sack things, the ones that look like a nightgown almost. We used them with all 3 boys, I loved them!

Diapers

wipes

Carseat

Baby Swing.

ColoradoMom86
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM

BUMP!

caligirl7613
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:20 PM
if your going to try BF, you deff need a boppy pillow and i would reccomend a pump. MOST insurance will pay for a standrd one i believe. pack and play was my life saver. really i didnt buy my son a crib until he was almost crawling. the pack and play was so easy and portable. a baby sling is another of my must haves as well. you can just carry baby all day. car seat of course oh and long onsies that zip. i didnt like the sack things but that was just my personal preference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColoradoMom86
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Gonna grab a bobby as well, then, thank you!  I am going to try to rent the pump.  I know most hospitals do that.  I don't want to buy one yet b/c with my son I didn't produce very much milk.  He was in the NICU and we were under tons of stress because of his medical situation and I wasn't eating hardly at all.  So that may have been why.  I'd just hate to waste the money before I know if I'm going to be able to produce this time! 

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM
I just had a baby after almost a decade so a lot has changed.

I still love boppy pillows especially for breastfeeding. For newborns I really like the halo swaddle sleep sacks. You will need a good carrier. Moby wraps are highly recommended but I don't have one so I don't know. For car seats and strollers I like the JJ Cole bundle me products.

The rest is basic place to sleep, bottle or breast clothing, pampers wipes.

And I suggest Infant CPR classes but I'm a worrier so that's just me.

See if insurance will pay for your pump
mcrowley22
by New Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:37 PM

infant carseat/stroller, onsies, blankets, bassinett ( I used a pack and play until my DS was 2 didnt have a crib) breast pump if your serious about breast feeding, pants and sleepers because it will be cold.  

ColoradoMom86
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:46 PM

It's already freezing here at night :(  My poor boy is coming at such a cold time.  Many, many blankets lol

Quoting mcrowley22:

infant carseat/stroller, onsies, blankets, bassinett ( I used a pack and play until my DS was 2 didnt have a crib) breast pump if your serious about breast feeding, pants and sleepers because it will be cold.  

pregnantmama105
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM
I used my moby wrap everyday.
LaughCryLive
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Car seat
Something to keep baby warm
Something to feed baby
Some sort of diaper
Somewhere for baby to sleep. (My mom slept in a dresser drawer on the floor).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)