Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you care if your kids' food has artificial ingredients?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM
  • 10 Replies

Why Moms Can Feel a Lot Better About Serving Mac 'n' Cheese for Dinner

by Adriana Velez

mac and cheeseGreat news for those of us who want fewer funky ingredients in our kids' food. Kraft says they'll remove artificial dyes from three mac and cheese products. Starting early next year, the SpongeBob, Halloween, and "winter shapes" macaroni you see on grocery store shelves will be tinted with natural ingredients like paprika instead. (Their "original" flavor mac and cheese is already dye-free.) They're not saying yet whether they'll change the food dyes in their other mac and cheese foods. But it's great that parents will have more dye-free options for one of the most kid-friendly foods ever invented. Think maybe food companies are getting the message from us that we want more chemical-free foods?

Kraft says this change has nothing to do with the Change.org petition asking for just that. Riiiight ... Whatever you say, Kraft. But I don't even care who they credit for inspiring this change. I'm just glad it's happening.

Of course, you could not feed your kids boxed macaroni and cheese.

Bwahahahaha! I'm just kidding. I caved in on the stuff years ago. Even though I believe fervently in cooking from scratch and using real food and feeding your kids a wide variety of foods, especially vegetables, there's something almost unavoidable about boxed mac and cheese. It just makes your life so much easier to keep the stuff stocked in your pantry for emergencies. (We're partial to Annie's.)

So these convenience foods parents rely on -- we really need them to be healthier. Or at the very least less junky. Even though I consider them "sometimes" foods, I think kids' foods in general should have higher nutritional standards than "adult" foods. It seems like it's always been the reverse, but maybe we're finally seeing that change.

Do you care if your kids' food has artificial ingredients?

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM

No... As long as my kids eat and are healthy that is all that matters to me. We have eaten artificial ingridients our whole life why would it change now?

CheyennesMommy2
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Well..I'm on the fence. I went crazy for a few months trying to make sure everything my kids had was dye free, chemical free, additive free, everything free. I was so stressed out about it...and spent a crapton more on groceries. So, I try to just do what works for us and ignore all the stuff I hear and read on the Internet. It's getting ridiculous anymore..you can't do anything. Plus my kids like boxed macaroni and cheese. It's easy and fast. I make sure they eat a super healthy breakfast, usually pancakes with alot of hidden stuff like pumpkin, oatmeal, banana, ect. And they eat healthy snacks and stuff. I prefer stuff with no dye, most of our stuff we use already doesn't. My kids actually don't like the shaped macaroni and cheese for some reason.

I do think that the company's should chill out on the chemicals..this whole Monsanto things crazy BUT if I avoided ALL of there products it'd be pretty hard. :/ I think the Internet kinda sucks now.
I've been thinking that alot lately..I was much happier when I wasn't freaking out about disposables vs cloth, what's in our food, our clothes, our body wash ect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I mainly look out for red dyes because she's allergic to it.

brettsmomma
by Tammie on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I have to care. My son has an allergy to certain food dyes. they make him exhibit symptoms close to ADHD. 

Photo: -Randi.

Hadadat
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM

In a perfect world my son would have nothing artifical in his diet. I'd love that. So we do the best we can. It's not always easy but we do what we can.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM

yes I do. I dont freak out if there is a now and then junk fest but I try to make sure MOST of their diet is artificial ingredient free.

Sister_Someone
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:52 PM

No, I don't. The only thing I care about is that he's fed, healthy and that whatever he's eating requires minimal effort from me.

Maxsmommy123
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:52 PM
I try my best for all if us but its not easy with his food aversions
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:00 PM
My son reacts horribly to artificial food dyes, so we avoid all of them. As well as flavorings, HFCS, etc. it's really not that hard.
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM

i have to beg to differ on the "something unavoidable about boxed mac & cheese"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)