Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

if your hosting Thanksgiving at your house...

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:38 AM
  • 14 Replies
How do you prepare for it?

When do you buy the food or decorate?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RADmomma
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I would start with a meal plan. Get every recipe figured out... make sure you have ALL ingredients on hand.

If your getting a fresh turkey put in your order asap. If your buying frozen & have room watch for sales and get it when its cheapest.

fruits & veggies should be bought monday or tuesday before.

Figure out which dishes can be prepared ahead of time and chilled or frozen. (desserts & side dishes)

Decorations can be picked up here and there when you see something you like... But Thanksgiving is easy and you wont need too much.

Check Pinterst for ideas!!

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:46 AM

We never host it. I would, if anyone wanted to be cramped into my tiny house, lol.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I'll start the Monday of the week before- menu, making sure I have everything, writing out a preparation and cooking schedule.  The weekend before I bring out my nice serving dishes and servingware and my heating trays. Then Monday I start food prep and cooking.

brettsmomma
by Tammie on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I start 3 days before. I make the pumpkin puree and decorate. the day before I make the salad tray, pies, and casseroles. The day of all I usually have to do is stuff and bake the turkey, make the cranberry sauce, gravy and mashed potatoes. 

Photo: -Randi.

DallasCowboys81
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

We buy the food about 4 days before .. That way we have everything we need. I also start baking stuff the day before for the fact of my oven is so small it literally only holds one pan. We deep fry our turkey ..

Decorating I leave that up to my 17 yr old. She loves it so  I let her mess with it .. LOL

Lyzmom
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Dh handles the turkey. He puts it in the smoker in the morning. We eat about 2:00 usually.
I make about 15 lbs of mashed potatoes, so i peel the night before and soak them overnight in a covered pot. All i have to do is turn the burner on.
I make pumpkin cheesecake the morning of.

Everything else is brought over. We make it potluck. It's so much easier on who ever is hosting. Plus most people in my family have a signature dish.

We set up tables and chairs in the morning. Thanksgiving is not fancy in our house. I don't even own enough dishes for 30 people, so we seriously use those big oval Chinet plates. Mil's idea. Holidays are about family, not doing dishes.
tardiskitty
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Start buying non perishables now if you happen to see them go on sale, get the turkey(frozen) as soon as it goes on sale or fresh 4-5 days before max. I get a nice bowl and some floral foam and make a centerpiece with flowers from the market. Have the kids each make name placeholders for everyone (keeps them busy while your prepping and adds a nice touch to a place setting) anything you can prepare the day before DO IT, seriously your stove probably only has 4 burners. Stuffing, green bean casserole(dont add the onions on top until right before serving), candied sweet potatos, mashed potatos, pies, can all be made beforehand and then heated up in the oven quickly. Let the turkey rest for at least 15 minutes before carving so it has time to absorb all those yummy juices. I've been hosting Thanksgiving for 9 years now, so I learned all of this the hard way haha
noelgray
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

We make a dinner menu buy food throughout October and November. Pre-cook and freeze anything we can.

We usually decorate the weekend or a couple days before the meal.

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers

Maries_Mom23
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

It's only the four of us (Dh, our 10 year old dd and 6 year old dd) and MAYBE my mom.  Just depends if she wants to come down or not.

So, the girls just make little crafty decorations the week before.  My menu is already made and I will buy half of the stuff this week and the other half in 2 weeks.  

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:18 PM

What casseroles do you make?

Quoting brettsmomma:

I start 3 days before. I make the pumpkin puree and decorate. the day before I make the salad tray, pies, and casseroles. The day of all I usually have to do is stuff and bake the turkey, make the cranberry sauce, gravy and mashed potatoes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)