Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

need advice

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 5 Replies
I have a 2 year old that likes to hit himself for no reason. I will yell at him for it and he keeps doing it. What can I do to stop him from doing this. And why does he do it? And another thing when he is around his austic disable 3 yr old brother he seems to yell when he sees him or he hits him. He is only mean to him but when he is around other kids he is not like that. Why does he do this. I have a feeling I'm going to have problems with him when he is older.
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Stop giving him attention for it. That may be exactly why he does it. As long as he isn't seriously hurting himself, ignore it.

Does your 3yo have many meltdowns? He may just think that's how he likes to play or something. Redirect him every time. Tell him “hands are for hugging, not hitting“ and show him the desired behavior. Positive instructions work far better than negative commands like “don't do that“ for many kids. If he refuses to be kind to his brother, send him off to a quiet place to sit and calm down for a bit; he can play again when he's willing to play nicely.
amandaober
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I try all those things it will work then he goes back being mean. My disable son is afraid of him so when he sees him also he will scream. And plus he can't talk so he would do the screaming to let me no he don't want him around him. And its sad because there real brothers there suppose to love each other. And kamryn should be protecting instead of hit him or throwing big hard toys at him.
MixedCooke
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM

He is doing it as a way of expressing his anger because he doesn't have the verbal skills to do so.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Instead of yelling at him, try redirecting him.  Put something into his hand that he can play with or squeeze or pull on.

He may act out around his brother because he's looking for more attention.

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Quoting amonkeymom:

Instead of yelling at him, try redirecting him.  Put something into his hand that he can play with or squeeze or pull on.

He may act out around his brother because he's looking for more attention.

I agree! Keep him busy!  Find age appropriate things for him to do! Good luck!

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)