Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I was just reading an article on yahoo about a girl named keisha that changed her name because of the taunts.  She is a bi racial girl in Missouri.  People would make fun of her for her name, including a teacher! 

The most interesting part of the article for me was that there was a study done that showed that people with "black sounding names" were profiled on job applications and such.  People with these names have a harder time getting into college and getting good jobs.  

Does this impact your opinion of a more ethnic name for your child?  As a teacher I have seen the distress that many kids feel because of their names and did stick to traditional names and spellings but many parents love to be original. 

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Replies (101-102):
raych415
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:42 AM
Her father picked the spelling. I love her name but I'm not sure about the apostrophe. However, I think her name is very easy to pronounce.

Quoting September201462:

Quoting firefay:

Jalia is a legit name, just not the way this mama spells it.  I love names, and I've studied orgins and histories since I was around 12 or 13. My name is Kimberly Jamila. My middle name is Swahili and Arabic sand means beautful. My oldest brother's name is Carl Akil. He goes by his middle name, and it means intelligent in Arabic.

Thor, Axel, Siobhan, Anjali, Rashida, Kadijah, Hannah, Consuela, Hiromi, Lelani just for a small sampling are all legit names.  Espn Axelrod, Anfronee, Lashantiqua, Pilot Inspektor, Jermajesty for another small sampling are not.

Quoting momto3B:,

You daughter is absolutely beautiful. I fear that you have saddled her with a name that when read is virtually unpronounceable and for strangers reading a resume is only going to be memorable for it's complexity.  

My husbands family is made up of teachers (he is not) and ever year stories about their students names get a great deal of play. 

Quoting raych415:

Mobile Photo

My daughter's name is Ja'Lea and she's half white/half black. I did think about her being discriminated against because of her name. I had a discussion with her father about the job app thing... he wanted to name her Ja'Huniie. 'Jahoney' We settled for something in between but I always wonder if I should have stuck with Joelle-Jade like I wanted to.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:43 AM
A name is a name! I love my kids names! They were once common popular names now not so more! lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)