Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I was just reading an article on yahoo about a girl named keisha that changed her name because of the taunts.  She is a bi racial girl in Missouri.  People would make fun of her for her name, including a teacher! 

The most interesting part of the article for me was that there was a study done that showed that people with "black sounding names" were profiled on job applications and such.  People with these names have a harder time getting into college and getting good jobs.  

Does this impact your opinion of a more ethnic name for your child?  As a teacher I have seen the distress that many kids feel because of their names and did stick to traditional names and spellings but many parents love to be original. 

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Replies (11-20):
WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I wasn't thinking about "ethnic" names when I chose. I was thinking of names that were variations of my family and/or had meaning. My daughter almost had the name "Shaleigh" mostly after me but I changed my mind at the last minute. I have heard the name before but spelled differently (Shaylee or Shalee) and both of those namesakes were Caucasian girls. I ended up naming my daughter Hudsyn Camille after my grandmother and mother. But Kiera Leigh was close second. If I ever have another daughter that will be her name. I am work at an elementary school as well so I totally understand where you and the article are coming from. Just to give you an example we had a child whose name was Shativia and her mother was Caucasian and that's the name she chose.

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM

You cant get no more traditional or white than my boys names!

My son is James. My stepson is Scott. and my husband is Jeff.

LOL

momdoes
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:23 PM

BTW, I get what you are saying OP. Most parents do pick a name based on ethnicity and race. My BFF, who is black, has some traditional and some race related names for her kids. She also has a first letter theme to their names. They all start with D.

DeAndre, Devone, Dedrick and Destiny.

ebbierowe
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Well my name is Ebony and I am pretty sure that is a "black sounding" name. However I have never had any trouble getting a job.

It doesn't change my opinion about ethnic sounding names. I know a little white boy named Granite if someone is more likely to give him a job then someone named Tyrone based soley on the name then Tyrone is probably better off not working there.

My kids have uncommon names but they are spelled correctly. Now I have had people mispronounce some the older two names but those people were idiots. My youngest is named after a character in a book so far about 60% of people that see her name pronounce it correctly the first time. Spelling it is another story because there is a silent letter in it, but again I spelled it just like the author of the book did.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/ebbierowe
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm Elizabeth.  My older son is Benjamin Charles, my younger son is Nathan Michael.  

I'm white, my kids are mixed though.  They are bl/wh.  I have had people tell me that I'm a bad mother because I didn't give them names that reflect the black side of their family.  I don't get that.  I gave them names- names that will take them far in life.  I gave them names that can have CEO or MD or Mr. President......

personally, I think that names reflect a parents education level and the parent's life goals for the child.  (i'm sure I will get bashed for that belief too)

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting mrs.murksho:

Honestly to say someone has an ethnic name is kinda of ignorant. I think a parent should be able to name their child any name that they want to and spell it however they want. Keisha is just as ethnic as the name Apple. BTW my child name is Micah.

I think its ignorant to not think that certain ethnicities name their children different things.  Are you really telling me that you can not tell the likely race of these kids.... Jayshawn, Kenishia, Latricia, Shaniqua????  Or maybe what ethic background these kids from my daughters class are.... Kjersten, Thor, Axel, Gretta, Gunner, Tanner?  Maybe these kids in my sons class... Jesus, Maria, Jose, Carlos??? You really think that names are never associated with race?  How strange and unobservant.  

My kids are Catherine, Elizabeth and Nathan.  Its a pretty good guess that we are white.  Yes its possible for a Mexican family in southern California to use those names and I could have picked the names Keoke, Yoshi and ming nau, but that would be very unusual.  

T-HoneyLuv
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:41 PM
2 moms liked this
I have two biracial boys and they both have beautiful, unique names that reflect their ethnicity on both sides. The fact that you think that your children will somehow be successful based on their names is silly. Hard work, dedication and confidence will get them far in life. At least that is what I teach my kids. A name doesn't define a person's destiny, I mean look at Barack. Hmmmmmm.
I won't even get into your last bullshit statement. * Eyeroll *

Quoting happymommy1105:

I'm Elizabeth.  My older son is Benjamin Charles, my younger son is Nathan Michael.  

I'm white, my kids are mixed though.  They are bl/wh.  I have had people tell me that I'm a bad mother because I didn't give them names that reflect the black side of their family.  I don't get that.  I gave them names- names that will take them far in life.  I gave them names that can have CEO or MD or Mr. President......

personally, I think that names reflect a parents education level and the parent's life goals for the child.  (i'm sure I will get bashed for that belief too)

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting mrs.murksho:

Honestly to say someone has an ethnic name is kinda of ignorant. I think a parent should be able to name their child any name that they want to and spell it however they want. Keisha is just as ethnic as the name Apple. BTW my child name is Micah.

I think its ignorant to not think that certain ethnicities name their children different things.  Are you really telling me that you can not tell the likely race of these kids.... Jayshawn, Kenishia, Latricia, Shaniqua????  Or maybe what ethic background these kids from my daughters class are.... Kjersten, Thor, Axel, Gretta, Gunner, Tanner?  Maybe these kids in my sons class... Jesus, Maria, Jose, Carlos??? You really think that names are never associated with race?  How strange and unobservant.  

My kids are Catherine, Elizabeth and Nathan.  Its a pretty good guess that we are white.  Yes its possible for a Mexican family in southern California to use those names and I could have picked the names Keoke, Yoshi and ming nau, but that would be very unusual.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

like i said- you don't have to agree with.  

will my kids be successful based on their names?  no.  do they have a better chance of being successful with hard work and dedication and confidence with a traditional name than somebody with a "unique" (i use that term lossely because most of the unique names are just misspelled traditional names) name?  Yes, I do.  

Just like I will live in a town that I don't like because it has the best school district in my state and it's best for my children to get the best education I can provide them.  Just like I will encourage them to play sports and be involved in their community and teach them to be giving and kind hearted.  I will encourage them to get involved with music and to excel in whatever it is that they choose to be involved in.  

Do I think that a name can hold you back?  Yes, I do.  It's been proven many times by studies.  Will there always be an exception to that?  Asbolutely.  

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

I have two biracial boys and they both have beautiful, unique names that reflect their ethnicity on both sides. The fact that you think that your children will somehow be successful based on their names is silly. Hard work, dedication and confidence will get them far in life. At least that is what I teach my kids. A name doesn't define a person's destiny, I mean look at Barack. Hmmmmmm.

Quoting happymommy1105:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting mrs.murksho:

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I would change my name also if i was a Keisha lol.

T-HoneyLuv
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this
How are you going to teach them to be kind hearted with the attitude you are showing in your first statement?
ASSuming parents have a low education level and do not have good life goals in mind for their children because they have chosen unique names is extremely harsh and judgemental. Definitely not qualities I want to see instilled in my children. But hey to each their own.

Quoting happymommy1105:

like i said- you don't have to agree with.  

will my kids be successful based on their names?  no.  do they have a better chance of being successful with hard work and dedication and confidence with a traditional name than somebody with a "unique" (i use that term lossely because most of the unique names are just misspelled traditional names) name?  Yes, I do.  

Just like I will live in a town that I don't like because it has the best school district in my state and it's best for my children to get the best education I can provide them.  Just like I will encourage them to play sports and be involved in their community and teach them to be giving and kind hearted.  I will encourage them to get involved with music and to excel in whatever it is that they choose to be involved in.  

Do I think that a name can hold you back?  Yes, I do.  It's been proven many times by studies.  Will there always be an exception to that?  Asbolutely.  

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

Quoting happymommy1105:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting mrs.murksho:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dallas622
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM

WHAT IS AN ETHNIC NAME? TODAY EVERYONE HAS A NAME AND U WON'T KNOW THE GENDER OR ETHNICITY OF THE INDIVIDUAL UNTIL YOU LAY EYES ON THEM.

MY SON'S NAME IS KAMERON..IS THAT ETHNIC??

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN