Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I was just reading an article on yahoo about a girl named keisha that changed her name because of the taunts.  She is a bi racial girl in Missouri.  People would make fun of her for her name, including a teacher! 

The most interesting part of the article for me was that there was a study done that showed that people with "black sounding names" were profiled on job applications and such.  People with these names have a harder time getting into college and getting good jobs.  

Does this impact your opinion of a more ethnic name for your child?  As a teacher I have seen the distress that many kids feel because of their names and did stick to traditional names and spellings but many parents love to be original. 

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Replies (21-30):
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

oookay.  whatever. 

i never said that i tell my children "see that little boy- his mommy has no education" because i would never say something like to my children.  

you jusge people- i judge people, we all judge people whether we admit it or not.  (again, you may not want to admit it but at the end of the day, you passed judgement on at least 1 person everyday, whether it be a stranger or somebody you know).  

how do i teach my children to be kind hearted?  well, let's see when my 7 year old heard another little boy making fun of one his friend's accents- i reminded him that we are all different and it's wrong to make fun of the way somebody else's speaks.  every christmas we donate toys to the children's hopsital.  every year for his birthday, he donates part of his birthday money to the children's hospital.  

how i tagain, you already passed judgement on me- and you don't know me.  but you want to gettell me that i'm wrong?  aren't you just as wrong?

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

How are you going to teach them to be kind hearted with the attitude you are showing in your first statement?
ASSuming parents have a low education level and do not have good life goals in mind for their children because they have chosen unique names is extremely harsh and judgemental. Definitely not qualities I want to see instilled in my children. But hey to each their own.

Quoting happymommy1105:

like i said- you don't have to agree with.  

will my kids be successful based on their names?  no.  do they have a better chance of being successful with hard work and dedication and confidence with a traditional name than somebody with a "unique" (i use that term lossely because most of the unique names are just misspelled traditional names) name?  Yes, I do.  

Just like I will live in a town that I don't like because it has the best school district in my state and it's best for my children to get the best education I can provide them.  Just like I will encourage them to play sports and be involved in their community and teach them to be giving and kind hearted.  I will encourage them to get involved with music and to excel in whatever it is that they choose to be involved in.  

Do I think that a name can hold you back?  Yes, I do.  It's been proven many times by studies.  Will there always be an exception to that?  Asbolutely.  

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

I have two biracial boys and they both have beautiful, unique names that reflect their ethnicity on both sides. The fact that you think that your children will somehow be successful based on their names is silly. Hard work, dedication and confidence will get them far in life. At least that is what I teach my kids. A name doesn't define a person's destiny, I mean look at Barack. Hmmmmmm.

I won't even get into your last bullshit statement. * Eyeroll *

Quoting happymommy1105:

I'm Elizabeth.  My older son is Benjamin Charles, my younger son is Nathan Michael.  

I'm white, my kids are mixed though.  They are bl/wh.  I have had people tell me that I'm a bad mother because I didn't give them names that reflect the black side of their family.  I don't get that.  I gave them names- names that will take them far in life.  I gave them names that can have CEO or MD or Mr. President......

personally, I think that names reflect a parents education level and the parent's life goals for the child.  (i'm sure I will get bashed for that belief too)

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting mrs.murksho:

Honestly to say someone has an ethnic name is kinda of ignorant. I think a parent should be able to name their child any name that they want to and spell it however they want. Keisha is just as ethnic as the name Apple. BTW my child name is Micah.

I think its ignorant to not think that certain ethnicities name their children different things.  Are you really telling me that you can not tell the likely race of these kids.... Jayshawn, Kenishia, Latricia, Shaniqua????  Or maybe what ethic background these kids from my daughters class are.... Kjersten, Thor, Axel, Gretta, Gunner, Tanner?  Maybe these kids in my sons class... Jesus, Maria, Jose, Carlos??? You really think that names are never associated with race?  How strange and unobservant.  

My kids are Catherine, Elizabeth and Nathan.  Its a pretty good guess that we are white.  Yes its possible for a Mexican family in southern California to use those names and I could have picked the names Keoke, Yoshi and ming nau, but that would be very unusual.  

shoot4thestars
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I didn't really think about whether or not the name I chose was ethical or unethical.  I picked some names I liked and made sure the one we chose wasn't stressfull in having to explain their name to someone, as in spelling, pronounciation every day.  My kids will have enough of that with our last name throughout their life, so my husband and I decided to make it a point for their first and middle names to be stress free for them.  Which is alright, because I like simple names.  The name we chose was Blake. 

T-HoneyLuv
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:27 PM
I am saying that judging someone based on their name or in this case choice of name for their children is wrong. You are making generalized assumptions of people you do not know at all. I made my " assumption " about you based on your comment. You made an assumption about me before I even posted.

Quoting happymommy1105:

oookay.  whatever. 

i never said that i tell my children "see that little boy- his mommy has no education" because i would never say something like to my children.  

you jusge people- i judge people, we all judge people whether we admit it or not.  (again, you may not want to admit it but at the end of the day, you passed judgement on at least 1 person everyday, whether it be a stranger or somebody you know).  

how do i teach my children to be kind hearted?  well, let's see when my 7 year old heard another little boy making fun of one his friend's accents- i reminded him that we are all different and it's wrong to make fun of the way somebody else's speaks.  every christmas we donate toys to the children's hopsital.  every year for his birthday, he donates part of his birthday money to the children's hospital.  

how i tagain, you already passed judgement on me- and you don't know me.  but you want to gettell me that i'm wrong?  aren't you just as wrong?

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

How are you going to teach them to be kind hearted with the attitude you are showing in your first statement?

ASSuming parents have a low education level and do not have good life goals in mind for their children because they have chosen unique names is extremely harsh and judgemental. Definitely not qualities I want to see instilled in my children. But hey to each their own.

Quoting happymommy1105:

will my kids be successful based on their names?  no.  do they have a better chance of being successful with hard work and dedication and confidence with a traditional name than somebody with a "unique" (i use that term lossely because most of the unique names are just misspelled traditional names) name?  Yes, I do.  

Just like I will live in a town that I don't like because it has the best school district in my state and it's best for my children to get the best education I can provide them.  Just like I will encourage them to play sports and be involved in their community and teach them to be giving and kind hearted.  I will encourage them to get involved with music and to excel in whatever it is that they choose to be involved in.  

Do I think that a name can hold you back?  Yes, I do.  It's been proven many times by studies.  Will there always be an exception to that?  Asbolutely.  

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

I have two biracial boys and they both have beautiful, unique names that reflect their ethnicity on both sides. The fact that you think that your children will somehow be successful based on their names is silly. Hard work, dedication and confidence will get them far in life. At least that is what I teach my kids. A name doesn't define a person's destiny, I mean look at Barack. Hmmmmmm.

Quoting happymommy1105:

I'm Elizabeth.  My older son is Benjamin Charles, my younger son is Nathan Michael.  

I'm white, my kids are mixed though.  They are bl/wh.  I have had people tell me that I'm a bad mother because I didn't give them names that reflect the black side of their family.  I don't get that.  I gave them names- names that will take them far in life.  I gave them names that can have CEO or MD or Mr. President......

personally, I think that names reflect a parents education level and the parent's life goals for the child.  (i'm sure I will get bashed for that belief too)

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting mrs.murksho:

Honestly to say someone has an ethnic name is kinda of ignorant. I think a parent should be able to name their child any name that they want to and spell it however they want. Keisha is just as ethnic as the name Apple. BTW my child name is Micah.

I think its ignorant to not think that certain ethnicities name their children different things.  Are you really telling me that you can not tell the likely race of these kids.... Jayshawn, Kenishia, Latricia, Shaniqua????  Or maybe what ethic background these kids from my daughters class are.... Kjersten, Thor, Axel, Gretta, Gunner, Tanner?  Maybe these kids in my sons class... Jesus, Maria, Jose, Carlos??? You really think that names are never associated with race?  How strange and unobservant.  

My kids are Catherine, Elizabeth and Nathan.  Its a pretty good guess that we are white.  Yes its possible for a Mexican family in southern California to use those names and I could have picked the names Keoke, Yoshi and ming nau, but that would be very unusual.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM

how did i make an assumption about you?  i didn't even know you existed.  i don't know you from adam or joe walking down the street.  

i didn't make an assumption about your children because i don't their names.  

i have no idea who you are, what your name is, what your children's names are.  nor do i really care.  

yes i made a generalized statement.  this entire thread is based on generalizations.  having a conversion about generalizations does not mean somebody made an assumption about YOU as an INDIVIDUAL.  it means that they are talking in generalizations.  

and as i said before- there is always an exception to an assumption or generalized statement. 

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

I am saying that judging someone based on their name or in this case choice of name for their children is wrong. You are making generalized assumptions of people you do not know at all. I made my " assumption " about you based on your comment. You made an assumption about me before I even posted.

Quoting happymommy1105:

oookay.  whatever. 

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

Quoting happymommy1105:

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

Quoting happymommy1105:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting mrs.murksho:

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM
I think our society is sick to judge people by their ethnicity regardless of what it is.
TatyBear
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:38 PM
People tell me my dds name is "black" and ask why I named a "white" girl that.

Its insane.

By the way her name is Tatyana. Its Russian.

I never gave any thought to ethnic.

But my girls are Tatyana, Ava-Rose and Chloe.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM
I grew up with a boy named Leroy Brown and he was white.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

DH's cousin is named Leroy and everyone is always surprised he's white.

Well if you find the article the mother is white and she picked the name.  Also they were teasing the girl about having a $ in her name.  Asked her if she was Kei$ha not Keisha.  Kei$ha is white.  Most of the taunts were really not a racial thing but the second part of the article is what interested me.  

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM
people really spell names with a dollar sign???

Quoting calsmom62:

I grew up with a boy named Leroy Brown and he was white.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

DH's cousin is named Leroy and everyone is always surprised he's white.

Well if you find the article the mother is white and she picked the name.  Also they were teasing the girl about having a $ in her name.  Asked her if she was Kei$ha not Keisha.  Kei$ha is white.  Most of the taunts were really not a racial thing but the second part of the article is what interested me.  

T-HoneyLuv
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:45 PM
My children have unique, ethnic names. According to your first comment, I must have low education and not have good life goals for my children. Those were your words. Not mine. I was simply pointing out that that is a very judgemental, harsh generalization that is not true.

Quoting happymommy1105:

how did i make an assumption about you?  i didn't even know you existed.  i don't know you from adam or joe walking down the street.  

i didn't make an assumption about your children because i don't their names.  

i have no idea who you are, what your name is, what your children's names are.  nor do i really care.  

yes i made a generalized statement.  this entire thread is based on generalizations.  having a conversion about generalizations does not mean somebody made an assumption about YOU as an INDIVIDUAL.  it means that they are talking in generalizations.  

and as i said before- there is always an exception to an assumption or generalized statement. 

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

Quoting happymommy1105:

oookay.  whatever. 

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

Quoting happymommy1105:

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

Quoting happymommy1105:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting mrs.murksho:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetStuff68
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Being a manager I would toss ghetto named resumes to the side bc of many reasons.
1. It was a Korean product with mostly Oriental customers and told to me from lots of Asians, they don't really love Black/Hispanic ppl, and are they really gon take skincare/makeup advice from ppl that don't have their skin type, color, complexion, etc.? No
2. If they have a hoodrat name it makes me think the parents were project rats also giving their child a name that was going to hold them back in life which leads me to believe that their upbringing/morals/values weren't of the greatest.
3. They had to wear a nametag, so if customers see a name they cannot pronounce, it's intimidating and also makes them think person is a joke. Just being real

I have an interracial son and I wanted to name him Tremaine after Trey Songs. Lol. And Trey isn't so bad but the bd was kinda jealous of that. Lol. Na but I named him something real universal, Jason n although his pops n I both really liked Dante & that's how to spell it the Italian way (what I am), he wanted to name it the let's say the football way, Donte. But if u wan name an, as they say, "ethnic name," at least do it as a middle name.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN