Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I was just reading an article on yahoo about a girl named keisha that changed her name because of the taunts.  She is a bi racial girl in Missouri.  People would make fun of her for her name, including a teacher! 

The most interesting part of the article for me was that there was a study done that showed that people with "black sounding names" were profiled on job applications and such.  People with these names have a harder time getting into college and getting good jobs.  

Does this impact your opinion of a more ethnic name for your child?  As a teacher I have seen the distress that many kids feel because of their names and did stick to traditional names and spellings but many parents love to be original. 

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Replies (41-50):
tashzbbone06
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Opps I meant Nathaniel.

Quoting tashzbbone06:

I have a Saphyre Ne'cole, Haley Alexis, Zoe Morgan and Nataniel Bryton(he goes by Bryton) and never put any thought into ethnicity.. Were all white. I just wanted something different which is probably why my mom named me Sunshine Angel.. :-)

NDADanceMom
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Can I ask about your educational background, socioeconomic status and area you live in?  Some mothers here have posted that names like that are usually from moms with less education who are poor. 

Quoting tashzbbone06:

Opps I meant Nathaniel.

Quoting tashzbbone06:

I have a Saphyre Ne'cole, Haley Alexis, Zoe Morgan and Nataniel Bryton(he goes by Bryton) and never put any thought into ethnicity.. Were all white. I just wanted something different which is probably why my mom named me Sunshine Angel.. :-)

newmom2.8
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
the sad part about it all is if someone is ethnic when they get to the interview and the person is a racist if they name is amber, becky, connor or ethan he still wont get the job or into college. we should worry about changing the world and teaching our kids to be strong and allowing their accomplishments speak for them instead of shying away from a name that sounds ethnic so maybe a racist might give them a second look on an application. kids get picked on for names no matter the sound, for clothes, being too smart, like drama or dance if hes a boy or for being not liked enough. so a name is name if u like it name your child it. if u dont like a name dont judge a person because u cant prenounce it.
momto3B
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends on one's own social "culture".  Where I live, what a name will sound like on a resume is definitely a consideration.  College and careers for children are on parents minds before their kids are even conceived.  Parents have all been to college, they move here for the schools and the anticipated trajectory.

One really lovey family, black,  who moved to town when we did has 6 kids: Mom and Dad are Henry and Holly, children are Harrison, Natasha etc etc.  Ethic names are Nico or Luca for families of Italian decent. Rachel or Jonah for Jewish families and Aiden and Neve for Irish families. etc. 

Other places in the country, people make other choices based on what "their plan" is. 

tasha_hjzpmommy
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Well my name is Natasha which is Russian and I am African American and native American my husband is whit and he chose our dd's name Heavynne Mariah (that's how it was spelled on babynames.com) and I chose all of our sons names Jayden Anthony-Lewis, Zachary James, & Peyton Nicholas
NDADanceMom
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tasha_hjzpmommy:

Well my name is Natasha which is Russian and I am African American and native American my husband is whit and he chose our dd's name Heavynne Mariah (that's how it was spelled on babynames.com) and I chose all of our sons names Jayden Anthony-Lewis, Zachary James, & Peyton Nicholas

Heavy?  I hope your little girl is thin.  

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I know a Genipher....bad

Quoting happymommy1105:

I chose traditional names for my boys.  They are Benjamin Charles and Nathan Michael.  Yes, I spelled them traditionally too.  

my SO has a daughter her name is Jennifer- spelled traditionally.  But she has another Jennifer in her class whose parents misspelled her name badly.  It's something like Gynnyfyr.  Like what the heck is that?  

Naming your child Jennifer and misspelling it- does not make it unique or orginial.  It makes you look uneducated as a parent.  

T-HoneyLuv
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Natasha is my first name as well! I am a first generation Russian American :)

Quoting tasha_hjzpmommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jadnorton
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:41 AM
We put a lot of thought into our kids names. We wanted them to have names we liked but names that would not hinder them in the future. I have seen many crazy ethnic names of all different ethnicities, but who am I to judge. It's their kids.

We have an Alexander Timothy, Eli James, and Amy Leigh.
momto3B
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:45 AM

You daughter is absolutely beautiful. I fear that you have saddled her with a name that when read is virtually unpronounceable and for strangers reading a resume is only going to be memorable for it's complexity.  

My husbands family is made up of teachers (he is not) and ever year stories about their students names get a great deal of play. 

Quoting raych415:

Mobile Photo

My daughter's name is Ja'Lea and she's half white/half black. I did think about her being discriminated against because of her name. I had a discussion with her father about the job app thing... he wanted to name her Ja'Huniie. 'Jahoney' We settled for something in between but I always wonder if I should have stuck with Joelle-Jade like I wanted to.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)