Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm a stressed Mommy hoping for some advice!!

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:03 PM
  • 28 Replies
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Hello Ladies-
I'm Lindsey, I'm a 27 year old stay at home Mother of two. I have a daughter who's 8 1/2 years old, she's such a joy in my life! She's very creative when it comes to keeping herself busy. She loves to play with her barbies 'I& video tape them as she acts out her own dialogue. It's cute to watch. Then I have my son, he's 2 1/2 years old. He's going through a horrific "Terrible Twos" stage (he seems to get worst everyday). I can't count how many messes he makes purposely in one day! I've been having a real hard time with him. He is a sweetheart when he wants to be, he loves his trucks/cars to play with! He also loves to play outdoors.

I've moved a few times when I was a kid. I lived in Redford, Mi from birth until the summer after 6th grade. I then moved to South Lyon, Mi for 7th-part of my Senior year. Then it was out to Howell, which is where we're living now.

My fiancé Tommy & I met through mutral friends of ours. He had a huge crush on me, but at first I didn't like him anymore than a friend. Soon I really got to know him and at age 15 we started to date. So I guess you can say were high school sweethearts.

Honestly I haven't had time to myself in a very long time. I would say almost since our son was born. If I ever do get time away from everyone, I would love to go get a massage or just be alone and have the house to myself.

Oh boy! What's on my mind today lol, I'm so stressed over my son being so naughty today, that I'm just tired & would like to get the kids to bed and have a fresh start tomorrow!!

Thanks for reading, and learning a little about my family and I!

-Lindsey
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

What disciplines have you tried with him?  The terrible toddler years are definitely trying on our nerves.  I have a 7 yr old daughter and she can go back and forth on behavior as well.

A-nony-mous
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Can you arrange an afternoon or evening away once a week? I know a lot of mothers feel guilty but it's really important that you not get burnt out. And at 2.5 he's more than capable of spending a few hours away from you. Do you have any family members or your fiancee can take him? :-) I think it would be really good for you to be able to have one afternoon/evening a week that you can depend on consistently.

LukesMom83
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I only have 1 child who is just 16 months, but I can understand. He is already starting his pre terrible twos early. He smiles at me when I say no and then does it again, but cries when I scold him only to make me feel guilty. It's difficult, but I don't spank or punish, especially since the yelling kinda upsets him anyway plus he is too young to understand or deal with a time out. While I can't offer you advice since I am not at that stage yet, I hope everything gets easier for you and I totally know the power of venting. It helped me immensely when I nearly quit breastfeeding cold turkey even though it wasn't possible due to engorgement, but that's a different story. Good luck and remember you are never alone in your battles :-)
CartersMom526
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:07 PM
I feel your pain! My 17 month old is definitely pushing me to my limits these days. My son does comprehend the time out chair or naughty chair as I call it lately. He gets sat in the chair when basically he doesn't listen to me, hits another child (I babysit), or repeats negative behavior (like emptying out my lazy Susan while I am in the bathroom). Yes, he is young but- I would rather stop the behavior, remove him from the situation, and let him have a moment to sit alone! I can't say my system is a success yet, but I know it all comes down to consistency!
CathyR4500
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

As a stay at home Mom you get the benefit of being able to provide consistant positive re-enforcement.  When my boy misbehaved, it seemed as if he was battling me to see who had a stronger will.  Constantly pusshing me to see if he could get me give in and how far he could get me to feed into his bad behavior.  At times, I thought he would get to me once and for all but their was no way that little man was gonna break me! Consistantly removing him from the room (regardless of where you are!) when these tantrums occured and refusing to give me the attention he wanted when he was bad cured it once and for all.  It took me a good six months but it finally worked.  There were times when I had to walk out of the store with a full cart of groceries and times when I had to cut visits short when we were out.  But he realized that only POSITIVE behavior got my attention and the battle of wills ALWAYS found him on the losing end of the stick. Consistancy was key! And talking after he calmed down too.  Good luck!

LateToTheGame
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a toddler who will be three in February.  She's really trying our patience (which is tenuous already) in the morning.  She stalls and is completely uncooperative.  We take her to day care and she loves it there, but getting her ready to leave is a nightmare.  She fights us on everything, making us late.  I feel your pain and wish I had advice.  I do have empathy but that isn't very helpful.  Remember it's a phase and it will pass.  Not a comforting thought in the heat of the moment.  You are not alone!

Candie1015
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Ask the hubby or grandma to take him for a couple of hrs and go treat your self! I give my dh all week while he works and the weekend all I ask is that he gives me part of one day out of his weekend for me time. That's reasonable to me.... other then that at 2 I would try redirectioning or look up other methods online
sueyQ
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi ,try to tell yourself this will only be a phase,things will improve and just think keep him occupied with colouring ininor playing quitely with  a balloon,some kids just want attention,put the housework aside and think playdrop down all tools just relax into play and try to tire him out at the swings or playing with a bouncy ball in the garden,He will eventually calm down and sleep guarunteed,

jconney80
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Hi welcome to the group! Nice to meet you =) I hope you can work it out so you get some free time soon or just a short bit of time to yourself. I ask my hubby if I need a little time to myself. I have 3 kids on the autism spectrum so I understand the feeling of being overwhelmed!
TheTakenTaylor
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a lot of the same problems with my two year-old boy. I have a channel on Youtube called TheTakenTaylor and i post videos about this all the time! Finding time to yourself is really hard,especially after dealing with a little monster! Even if you cant get away, just taking an actual shower or reading a book for thirty minutes without interruption is some of the small but helpful "me times" i find during the day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)