Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

New Mommy/Help!

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:29 AM
  • 21 Replies

Mobile Photo

Hello!
My name is Karen, first time mom.
My daughter was born on Wednesday October 23, 2013.
She was born a happy healthy baby.
I am concerned because she recently got a rash on her face. The bumps look like tiny pimples and when she cries it only gets redder. The rash is on her eyelid, on her eyebrow, and just below her eye on her cheek.
I also found pimple looking red bumps around ger ear and some on her neck.
I am breastfeeding.
I do not eat spicy foods.
I am taking prenatal pills that are for pregnant/lactating women.
We have a lady who comes to take care of us during the day and she washes the baby's clothes with regular soap and softener.
No one in my house smokes.
My mother in law gave me a+d and told me to put that on her face and if not that then to put desitin.
I do not like the sound of putting those creams on my baby's face so I didn't.
I use johnson's lotion & body wash.
She only showers twice a week.
My baby's pediatrician says it's normal and told us to switch our body wash and lotion to eucerin.
Please help me!
I don't know what to do.
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jadesmommy13
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:31 AM
Baby acne.... It will go away in a few weeks.
dew530
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:36 AM
1 mom liked this
You can try California baby, but it's expensive... Or try coconut oil, it works pretty well with my baby's skin, not too expensive too, you can find it in Costco it's organic 100% pure
beavester
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:37 AM
Really!? Awesome. I was really starting to worry. Thanks!

Quoting Jadesmommy13:

Baby acne.... It will go away in a few weeks.

beavester
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:38 AM
1 mom liked this
My sister just bought me some california baby so maybe i'll try it for her next shower.
Thanks so much for the advice! I'll make sure to stop by and pick up some coconut oil.

Quoting dew530:

You can try California baby, but it's expensive... Or try coconut oil, it works pretty well with my baby's skin, not too expensive too, you can find it in Costco it's organic 100% pure

MomOf3524m
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:48 AM
2 moms liked this
Maybe change the soap from your regular one to All just for the babies clothes will work as well. Babies skin is not strong enough to us regular detergent. They're sensitive. And eucerin creme works as well.
PumpMasterFlex
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't use Johnson and Johnson products, not only do they contain cancer causing chemicals, but thy are also very harsh on your baby's skin (I'm a scientist).

This sounds identical to what my baby has - cradle cap on her face. My pediatrician had told me to use Hydrocortisone 1% cream (not the stronger one!) on her face twice a day for a maximum of 6 days. He said to also apply lotion once or twice a day. It cleared her up in 5 days. It did end up coming back, and we aren't allowed to use hydrocortisone again, so now we just apply lotion every day and it's getting much better. Good luck momma :)
Daisy79
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:56 AM
3 moms liked this

If your baby isn't acting miserable, then I have to agree with "baby acne."  It's so common and harmless.  Also, babies have super-amazing immune systems & skin in general (is the "blemish" you note in the morning still there at bedtime?  I'll bet not.

Don't worry - your baby does know when she's uncomfortable.  Something as small as a folded tag on a t-shirt could trigger baby "sensitivity."

513BabyBoy
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:12 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree it sounds like baby acne. My son had that. Every nighy before I put him to sleep and every morning when he woke up we just ran a little wash rag with some water on it to remove the grease and oils. Went away in no time! That's something you can try that does not cost a thing! (: Also softener on your babys skin could be pretty tough, I use target brand baby soap and nothing else. For myself and my son! Saves on money and I don't have to worry about him breaking out from different laundry soaps and softeners. I hope this was helpful!
Taramisu
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes the baby Acne will soon dissipate ... Be sure to wash little ones face with a warm cloth at least in the morning, if not midday and at Bathtime . Think of the milk sitting on babies skin ect. Do use a free and clear detergent , I like All it's cheaper than Dreft, wash babies clothes in a load all by themselves. I also found Aquafor ointment to be a great product, it can be a little greasy, worked great on my little ones diaper rash, dry spots & for irritations . I do think it curved off Cradle Cap as well I just put a very small amount on babies head after bath time. Do have your pedi look at it if it persists or seems to be spreading. Best of luck to you!!
Cjcopeland
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this
My baby had the same thing only his face would also look swollen! Everyone told me it's baby acne but it wasn't! He kept rubbing his face so I decided to treat him for eczema and bought him mustela eczema cream and almost instantly my baby had relief. Overnight the bumps went away and found out it was due to dry skin that baby Johnson's lotion was making worse.. Try it hopefully it works because I know it can be hard seeing your baby like that and it might not be baby acne
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)