Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

do you let your kids or others.....

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:09 AM
  • 62 Replies
Drive your car? I was just wondering. I have been told i was being selfish. I have 2 kids that are now adults and 1kid still at home, only 10 but the time for drivers ed will be here faster than i want it. when the older 2 were at that stage I couldn't bring myself to let them. I didn't drive my parents cars either. we lived in a big city with public transportation and even though they had a car they took the bus moat of the time. I took drivers ed in school, had a permit and took similator class bit o wasn't allowed to drive their car. I was 19 when I got my license and bought my own car. now for some reason my family thinks I'm being unreasonable and selfish. except my husband. he agrees with me. the other part of my question is what about others? friends, relatives, coworkers? do you drive other peoples cars? do you let them drive yours?
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM
We haven't reached that stage yet. My son is almost 2! But I have let our friends borrow the car.
NDADanceMom
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Yes my dh took my daughter out practice driving in his car. I let people drive my van if they need it to move something large. Everyone i know has their own car so it would be rare for someone to ask.
crrodgers29
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
if your husband agrees with waiting then wait. my stepson is 14 and talks about driving all the time. this is the same boy who had a deer jump over him while he was on a riding lawnmower and never saw it. needless to say, he's waiting.
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Nope.  They are not old enough.  6.5 is the oldest.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM
when our older kids got drivers licenses they could drive the cars but to get to that point they showed us they were responsible enough to even get their license. if they hadnt been ready we would not have allowed them to get their license. they had earned our trust. were they perfect ? of course not but we knew they understood the responsibility that goes with driving.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM
as for others driving my car it rareky comes up but yes I would. i am grateful for the people who trusted in me enough to let me birrow their vehicle in times if need. why shouldnt I pay that forward.
NESmith63
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM
I don't want my kids driving my car however I will give them one to drive at 16. Public transportation is not an option here so unless I want to be driving them all over the place then they need a car. I was given a car at 16 so my kids will too.

As for my car now.....there is usually never a need for anyone else to drive my car. Everybody has their own car
QueenBof6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM
My son is learning to drive right now. No way in hell am I letting him drive my $70,000 car. Lol. We bought him a truck for when he turns 16.

As far as other people driving I rarely let them. When we leave town I leave my car for the babysitters but that's about it. My SO is the only other person that drives it.
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM

DH drives my car to work every day, I hate it, but it makes more since for me to have the van here in case I have to go get the boys from school because my 3 kids and my niece won't fit in my car.

I still drive my parents' cars from time to time and they have driven mine. Mom drove my car for 2 whole years before I could drive (I bought a Mustang at 14) and any time my car was getting work done I drove their cars.

my brother drove my car when he had shoulder surgery (he had a stick shift and I had an automatic), DH drove my car SOME when we were dating. My kids are 7,5, and 1...but they will learn to drive with my Accord if it's still around (it's a manual shift).

fudgybuddymom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I don't have a car but I would let her drive it if I thought she was ready. Like when she was 18 or 19.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN