Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should Schools Monitor Parents' Facebook Pages?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM
  • 12 Replies

Should Schools Monitor Parents' Facebook Pages? (VIDEO)

by Ericka Sóuter

moms matter

It's not a stretch to say that nearly every parent under the age of 60 has a Facebook page or engages in some sort of social media. But what if the administrators at your child's school are monitoring your social media messages? And what if they found something they didn't like and then banned you from your child's school, even if you haven't actually broken a law? It happened to one Georgia mom and there was nothing she could do about it. During this week's Moms Matter Google Hangout, we discuss whether this principal overstepped her bounds or if it's necessary to be hypervigilant in these violent and dangerous times. Check it out.

For many of us, the Internet is the one place where we can let loose and let our friends know exactly what's on our mind. Though never in a million years would we expect the administrators at our children's school to monitor those messages and pass judgment on us.

So much about this mom's situation seems unfair. She is a military vet, hasn't broken any laws, yet she is now being treated like a criminal. But as you've seen from the discussion, this issue isn't a simple one. Yes, parents have rights, but a school has a responsibility to keep its children safe. Is it possible school shootings can be prevented if we didn't care about the privacy of parents and families, or would it make little to no difference?

What do you think about this discussion? Do you think school administrators should keep a close eye on parents over social media?

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I would have yanked my kid from the school. Immediately. Schools are overstepping in a big way.
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Hell to the effin NO should they know, look, peep, or ask about my private life in that manner! I already gove them a detailed history when enrolling my kid. That is all they need to know of me.

kellysp6637
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

No, however, I can sadly see why some schools think they should.  There are way too many incompetent people having children.

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

No. The school doesn't need to monitor a parent's facebook page....unless there are signs of abuse or something.

And why ban a parent over a concealed weapons permit? LOTS of parents have those, if they want to ban one, they need to find all parents that have them and ban them too.

Cutenessmom
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

NO !  But my facebook page is boring!  Why in the world would I put  crazy junk that some of these people  put on there i s beyond me?

When people strip or are half  naked and put it on  facebook that is like getting up ona table and  dancing naked for all those people!   I do think schools our overstepping ina big way.

jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
No! But then again, my page is set to private and I wouldn't have them on my friends list.
mjande4
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:13 AM

No school has time to "monitor" facebook pages.  If, however, a questionable/threatening post is brought to their attention, then by all means it should be investigated. 

jconney80
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:23 AM

This is true for me but it is absolutely absurd that they would even do this! That is really invading someone's personal life. 

Quoting jobberwocky:

No! But then again, my page is set to private and I wouldn't have them on my friends list.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:48 AM

absolutely not... none of their business...

Cherish77
by Cherish on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:30 AM

No.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)