Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Lifting and pregnancy (piog) UPDATE

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM
  • 29 Replies
I am about 25 weeks pregnant..
I know it's not a huge deal to lift when pregnant...and I'm really not one of those over reacting pregnant women lol.

I work with people who have brain injury. Two days a week the clients I work with have wheelchairs and need to be transported. I have to lift the wheel chairs in my cars trunk. When I do this...I'm starting to get burning pressure feeling in my lower uterus.
I have an appointment Friday and plan on asking.
Until then...any ideas about this?

My boss is a male, and a jerk.
He says he can't switch me to a different client unless he sees a dr note. I don't believe my dr will give me a note because I know it's not like completely banned to lift while pregnant..and my pregnancy has been easy so I don't have any complications or anything.

Any advice? Or just an idea what this burning pressure is??

I posted in another group, but didn't get many replies...it's a small group

--------

Update..
So I called and talked to my doctor. She seemed pretty understanding.
She faxed me over a paper and the paper said I couldn't lift anything over 40 pounds.
I'd say wheel chair is only like 30 pounds..soooo..I guess I'm still out of luck =(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3lilmonsters88
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM
my ob told me to not lift anything over 20 pounds so that's the rule I followed with each of my pregnancies...Im not sure of the burning sensation though.
Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I moved from one house to another when I was 8 1/2 months pregnant. I didn't carry heavy furniture, but I did carry plenty of stuff.

I would say if you need to ask your doctor. If your job requires you to lift and your boss is being an ass, then get the note. The doctor will be happy to provide it to you if you genuinely need it.

nooneexciting
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:53 AM
My dr put me on a "nothing over 10lbs" limit before I even ran into a problem.

If your body is negatively reacting to lifting it is pretty likely you will get a note from your dr.

Trust me I am not an overreacting prego either. Thats everyone else around me. I got berated for 10 minutes when I got "caught" carrying a shower chair upstairs. You know...the plastic ones that weigh like 4lbs? Yeah.

Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Thanks guys. Will talk to dr next appt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

My doctor told me nothing over 10 lbs as well. I was lifting a box that was delivered at work. I was just into my 2nd trimester and I started lightly bleeding. Not trying to scare you just wanted to let you know my experience.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I always figured I shouldn't lift anything heavier than my toddler... hehehe course he's 3 and and weighs 30lbs,but I couldn't just stop picking him up he wouldn't understand. get the doctors note if your boss is going to be a jerk about it.

NDADanceMom
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 6:36 PM
I sub teach this year since I'm having a baby next week. I'm no longer taking special Ed LI because they are in chairs/ use hoyer lifts. It became too much. Maybe get a note from your doc?
Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Bump for update..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Maybe spin the liability side to your boss? Ie workmanship comp if you get injured on the job... Or ask your doc to lower it to 30 lbs... Most ob's I've worked with will "be the bad guy" when needed.

joyceea3
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Quick search looks like most standard chairs weigh 33-38 lbs, will your Dr. lower the weight limit?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN