Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Husband and video games

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:17 AM
  • 34 Replies
I have a three month old and my husband still plays his video games every night. I get home cook dinner take care of our daughter then he runs upstairs and plays video games until
God know when! I don't feel like he wants to be part of our family and almost feel like a single mother. Why wouldn't he want to be part of our family? Doesn't he think about the things he might be missing.. Like our daughters firsts. I try to confront him and of course he gets defensive. Help!!
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:24 AM

If I knew how to help you with this.......I would not have divorced my first husband. he too, was like this and it drove me nuts! Once he didnt care (and cared more about those games) if I went out every weekend with my girls, I knew it was over. Trust tho, there are men out there who can play them and be a good man too. I found him not long after my divorce from the other one!

alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:27 AM

What are you wanting him to be apart of exactly? What about the video game system into the living room?

jomami
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:03 AM

He should help out around the house and with your daughter!  Maybe stick to playing video games after your daughter is asleep. That must be so annoying! 

It sounds ilke he's addicted and maybe trying to escape responsibilities. It may be best to approach him in a way that isn't about the video games but rather ask him to help or hang out with you until a certain time before he 'disappears.'  Then, it's not about his video games but about him disappearing when you could really use an extra hand and would love his company.

jomami
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like she wants him to be a part of their lives.  Not sure that having the video games in the center of the house would be any better.  I think he needs to realize there's a time and place - sometimes, you need to put the screens away and spend time with your family.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

What are you wanting him to be apart of exactly? What about the video game system into the living room?

RADmomma
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM
My hubby only plays after the girls are askeep
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:26 AM

My hubby plays on the weekends and our kiddos play with him. I know your dd can't yet but could in the future. I would just ask him to limit his game time to a couple nights a week instead of all the time. Good luck

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM

the baby is 3 months, relax LOL

MommaVoo
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM

My husband and I are both gamers.. WHAT he plays and HOW is very important. Some gamers see what they do as a type of second job and need to be snapped into reality.. no it isnt an addiction! people that say that are fairly ignorant of how it all works. Have you ever tried to be involved in what he likes? Why dont you try playing and tell him to take care of the baby while you are playing =P That is what I will be doing :)

alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I understand that but there can be compromises. 

Quoting jomami:

It sounds like she wants him to be a part of their lives.  Not sure that having the video games in the center of the house would be any better.  I think he needs to realize there's a time and place - sometimes, you need to put the screens away and spend time with your family.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

”Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age.” - Dr. Seuss. 

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:53 PM

It can be an addiction for some.

Quoting MommaVoo:

My husband and I are both gamers.. WHAT he plays and HOW is very important. Some gamers see what they do as a type of second job and need to be snapped into reality.. no it isnt an addiction! people that say that are fairly ignorant of how it all works. Have you ever tried to be involved in what he likes? Why dont you try playing and tell him to take care of the baby while you are playing =P That is what I will be doing :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)