Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

ADHD med change help

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 23 Replies

My son is 7 and on 10mg of Ritalin short acting three times a day. Also n clonodine for bed .02 or.03 the smallest dose he can have. I hate giving him so much meds and a stimulant. It was working at first now not so much. His teacher said some days its like he didn't have have it while others he is awesome! I see it at home also. I have done a lot of research about Intuitve(sp) and i want to try this out. My question is would you take him off the Ritalin right away or wait a few Weeks and wean him off. Also the clonidine i want to stop. If he gets put on the new meds should i stop the sleeping meds right away and do melatonin. Please no judging on me having him on meds. If you dont like it please keep going and dont comment. Thank you!

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:03 PM

My son started there.  He is now on 40mg ritalin LA once a day.  He is 14.  in about 2nd grade he was 20mg ritalin LA

irishluck112211
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM
I just feel like its a lot. Maybe because it's three times a day.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

My son started there.  He is now on 40mg ritalin LA once a day.  He is 14.  in about 2nd grade he was 20mg ritalin LA

sunpeaches1
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
My son started on adderall but as soon as he learned to swallow pills (6yrs old & we practiced w rice) doc put him on concerta 18mg xr. Was great for about 4mos. When he started acting out doc added 1mg intuniv & we've been on a steady even keel for quite awhile. Intuniv gave his meds the extra kick needed w/o adding more stimulants. Also w/o more stimulants his anxiety levels didn't just not get higher but the non stimulant actually dropped his anxiety.
I still attribute most of our improvements to understanding, positive reinforcement, consistent consequences & most of all his new teacher is an ANGEL with him! She's so understanding of what he's going thru but does not treat him differently. The only extras he gets is extra test times & smaller groups as stated in his 504 plan. & not only is she so awesome in understanding him, she's sees past his attention struggles & sees him for his own personality. Even at the beginning of the year while he was off meds & i was getting notes home about his behavior & not finishing his work, etc. At our 1st sit down she told me how great a kid he was & it was a joy to have him & how she just loved his personality! Since getting more settled & back on meds we've been having an AWESOME school year!
isaacsmommy68
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM

My son takes Aderall 15mg 1 time a day. He just started having a bad reaction to it last week, racing heart, etc. Doctor has not called back yet. I hate having him on meds, but he cannot function at school without them. He has been on 3 different ones. All the same reaction. This med he has been on for over 6 months. I dont want him to have a stroke, just so he will sit still at school. Ugh! I know how you feel. I wish there was some sort of support group by me to help.

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I would discuss it with your doctor because they will know what works and what doesn't. I have 3 kids with hyperactivity and sleep issues. Klonopin is the only thing that has saved us when it comes to sleep problems. Clonodine did NOTHING for my kids sleep issues. My oldest daughter was originally diagnosed with ADHD and was just recently diagnosed with PDD-NOS (autism spectrum disorder). We tried numerous adhd meds with no real change. They would work at first but then over time it would seem like she didn't take anything at all. Then after awhile I just gave up because she was having too many side effects from it. We use melatonin for all of our kids and it does help them fall asleep but it doesn't help them stay asleep. So far my oldest and middle child are on Klonopin and Melatonin and those are safe to take together (per Drs orders). I hate medication. I really, really do. But it's a matter of not sleeping at all and dealing with horrible behavior all day or them sleeping. I found out that what my daughter's original psychologist said were hyperactive behaviors were actually repetitive behaviors and due to sensory issues. Occupational therapy should definitely be in the mix if you are dealing with ADHD and sleep issues. It's possible he really has some sensory processing issues going on that look like ADHD. This happens so often. OT has really helped my kids and you can get a referall for an eval from your pediatrician. 

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I think these are questions for his doctoer if and when they change his meds

irishluck112211
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:28 AM
I went to his appt yesterday and they put him on 1mg of tenex. Took him off of the Ritalin. We will be trying melatonin tonight and they said if doesn't work then I can give him his clone dine.
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:46 AM

I hope this works for you.

Quoting irishluck112211:

I went to his appt yesterday and they put him on 1mg of tenex. Took him off of the Ritalin. We will be trying melatonin tonight and they said if doesn't work then I can give him his clone dine.

irishluck112211
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you!

Quoting IncognitoOne:

I hope this works for you.

Quoting irishluck112211:

okiemamaof3
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM
My son is on concerts 36mg. He is 8 and started on 18mg. Its supposed to be non habit forming
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN