Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So upset-advice please!!

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:23 PM
  • 21 Replies

Mobile Photo

My son just turned two weeks old today. Took him to the doctor because he has been super fussy and his eye looks crusty. They weighed him and he has yet to gain any weight at all since he was born. He has lost just under a pound. I have been strictly breastfeeding and was confident that he has been getting enough. Doc suggested I start supplementing with formula or pumping my milk to try to increase my supply. I have been pumping today after he feeds for about 5 minutes (all he will do before falling asleep) and all that I can get is 1/2 and ounce. I am soooo depressed. I feel awful, I have been starving him!! So I am asking for some advice here. Has anyone had a similar situation then have pumping work to increase supply? Or am I going to have to supplement and ultimately end up switiching to formula? I feel like such a total failure :( Cannot stop crying....
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJwlz
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM

DONT FEEL THAT WAY!!!!! Breastfeeding is a never ending learning process!!! I'm on my fourth right now and I'm still learning!......

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't feel that way. You could only be pumping 1/2 an ounce, but the baby can be getting more than that because most women respond to the pump differently.

Oatmeal, eat a lot of oatmeal. There's also things like Fenugreek, Alfalfa, Ginger root, mother's milk tea you can take to help production. And if that doesn't help build your supply up, get a prescription for Reglan.

Keep feeding. Keep pumping....don't supplement unless you have to (that can lessen your supply).

MamaJwlz
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:31 PM

with that said...I'll share my first experience. My oldest is 9...i was 22 when he was born....his head was so big he broke my tailbone and my doc prescribed me hydrocodone for pain after the birth. I noticed my son would fall alseep for WAY too long after nursing and in turn, wasnt eating enough...it took me a week to figure out that it was because of the pain meds. After that, I quit the pain meds and dealt with the pain..By that time, my supply was so low i had trouble keeping up with him...it just took some time...FOR ME (everybody is different) there is NO SET SCHEDULE. every 2 hours....every 3 hours....etc, etc.....feed on demand. Your baby will give you cues...rooting, hands in the mouth, turning cheek into one side or the other....sometimes they even have a certain cry...pop one of those suckers out and give it to him! you guys will eventually get a good routine...

if your doc thinks you need to pump on top of it, pump after hes done....make sure you're switcvhing back and fourth from left to right so you're utilizing every drop! make sure you drink lots of water and make sure youre not going hungry, YOU HAVE TO EAT!!!

mymomisthebomb
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

He is precious!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/supportive group :)
Today at 12:00 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM

You are not a failure,
Do what you can with the pump.
If you must supplement .. remember you are doing what is best for your son :)

lovebugs_mom906
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:35 PM
First of, you're doing great!! My daughter took about a month to get back to birth weight, but once she started gaining, she just kept gaining until she was a chunky monkey lol. Don't stress if he hasn't gained it back yet. As long as he's having enough wet diapers every day, he's doing great. Another thing - the amount you get from pumping has nothing to do with the amount he's getting when he's nursing. Your body react differently to nursing, compared to pumping. Some moms just can't pump and that's ok.
Are you nursing on demand?
SimplyEnchanted
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:34 PM

How many diapers is he having a day, mama? A pump is NOT an indication of supply

jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Don't go by what you can pump! A lot of women do not respond to breast pumps! While you are only pumping 1/2 an oz your son could be getting several ounces.

If you had a lot of Iv fluids before he was born, that will have given him a higher birth weight. Once those fluids are out of his body he will weigh less.

So long as he is having enough diapers and seems content after his feedings, he is probably getting enough.
Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:55 PM
How many wet diapers does he have a day?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chickadees
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Undress him before you feed him.  If he is warm and cozy he is more likely to fall asleep faster.  Also...if he starts to fall asleep detach him...hold him up and talk to him and then let him latch on again when he's awake.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)