Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my 2yo will not eat!!! please help me!!!

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

ive tried everything! snack drawers favorite foods holding out milk so she doesnt fill on that and she just refuses to eat! ive resorted to "watering down" ensure shakes with milk to make sure shes at least getting SOMETHING but she has absolutely NO interest in eating. every once in awhile i can get her to eat a decent amount of food but its scaring me because she was a preemie and used to be on a hi cal diet as a baby but within the last few months she kind of quit eating!! she used to love tater tots and other "hand foods" and once she got her own silverware and plates she was eating but now nothing. ive tried switching it up maybe she was bored with what we were giving her but nope nothing. she used to love fruits and veggies but now she just leaves it at the table until they go "bad" (warm and shrively looking). i dont know what to do...

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Why are you watering down ensure?  Why not just buy pediasure for her?  When you water those things down, she can lose the nutrition they provide.  Look into fruits/veggies that do not go bad like celery sticks, carrot sticks, melon, grapes.   Have you tried string cheese with her yet?  Making homemade smoothies might be good since you can hide all sorts of things in them.  Is she teething at all?  I know dd did not want to eat much when teeth were coming in.

epuffer
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM

her doctor told me to do half a sippy of ensure and half milk because they are adult drinks and he didnt want her getting sick off them and pedia sure wasnt to her taste like ensure was. i tried cheese sticks she just rips it to pieces and leaves it shes got all her teeth already so its not that. he seems to think its a phase that she will grow out of but its been happening since around mid summer i thought it was due to the heat but no still happening  shes still steadily gaining weight so shes not like starving it just worries me that shes on a near all liquid diet 

Ninabear
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Mobile Photo

You already spoiled dinner by giving her chocolate ensure milk cause by then u already spoiled her dinner I have a 1 year old and I give her 3 bottles a day 1 n the morning after she eats breakfast the 2nd one after lunch and the 3rd after dinner if she don't eat she don't get that treat of her favorite juice or chocolate milk. You should try going to the grocery store at food 4less and get some of those toddlers fingers food they have a bunch of good flavored selection my kids love it ..
jconney80
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Is it a sensory related thing? The only time I've ever heard of kids doing this is when they have sensory processing problems that cause them to be very sensitive to textures, tastes, and smells etc. Is she constipated at all or has she ever been?

elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:48 PM

My pediatrician says they won't starve, Just make sure she is not getting sugary snacks, give her finger foods, and earlier poster was correct, chocolate drinks just spoil her appetite and fill her up, so you can't expect her to eat. I'd save them for after meals at least.

epuffer
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:48 AM
1 mom liked this

i dont give her the chocolate ones she hates chocolate just vanilla ones and no constipation but i got her to eat some cambells chicken noodle soup today and some ramen noodles so maybe shes on a noodle kick im going to try spaghetti tomorrow and see how that goes 

tucanfran1
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I had the same problem with my daughter and I was assured by her doctors that they eat as much as they want and know when they get enough. Just hang in there she'll pick it up!

tucanfran1
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:03 AM

That is so true my daughter has the same problem. Even with brushing her teeth and stuff on her hands!

LJGmommy
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 4:51 AM
It might be a control thing, she's testing you!
LJGmommy
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 4:51 AM
It might be a control thing, she's testing you!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)