Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

weaning a 2 yr old. (piog)

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 6 Replies
Ok so my ds just turned two, he was eating more solids. So we thought ya natural weaning. But now he is back to refusing food and only wanting breastmilk, I didnt want to cut him off cold turkey, but may have to.

The problem is he nurses to sleep, and has a severe Nut allergy, cant have anything that mght just have traces. He is missing his 4 top front teeth due to an accident and him breaking them, so he has a hard time eating. I know at his age he needs solids, my older boys went through this at this age and I just gave them pedia sures and uncrustables. Not an option this time with the allergy, and his refusal of cows milk.

So please any tips anything? Or is it cut off time and hope for the best.

Thanks in advance.

This is not a breastfeeding debate, this is my last child, and only one I breastfed. I did formula before, lot easier to cut that out. Just feel bad going cold turkey because I know hes going to cry a lot.
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Not sure maybe start limiting the times of nursing and just keep introducing different foods

2manydiapers
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Maybe just naptime and bedtime. I just want him getting all he needs

Quoting othermom:

Not sure maybe start limiting the times of nursing and just keep introducing different foods

persuasion91297
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Did you try giving him breastmilk in a sippy.. Feed him soft solids that's easy for him to eat with a cup of breastmilk.
2manydiapers
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:54 PM
I tried and he says he doesnt like it, maybe due to temperature change? I even tried chocolate milk, he spit it out. He'll eat bannanas , and some harder solids. I wish he could et his false fronts alreay but dentist said not till 3.

Quoting persuasion91297:

Did you try giving him breastmilk in a sippy.. Feed him soft solids that's easy for him to eat with a cup of breastmilk.
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

If he is a picky eater it's better to still be nursing to give him everything he needs than to give it up and have to resort to Pediasure, which is full of sugar. Your breastmilk supplies a lot of nutrition even for toddlers. I would try to find foods he WILL eat and give him a lot of that. For some kids it isn't a behavior thing that can just be fixed by taking away nursing. 

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/toddler-foods/

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Yeah most kids that are nursing won't touch breastmilk in a cup. It's a whole different thing.

Quoting 2manydiapers:

I tried and he says he doesnt like it, maybe due to temperature change? I even tried chocolate milk, he spit it out. He'll eat bannanas , and some harder solids. I wish he could et his false fronts alreay but dentist said not till 3.

Quoting persuasion91297:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)