Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

need some advice please?

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 5 Replies
OK so my boyfriend and I are making payments to buy my brother's girlfriends truck because we need a vehicle however when agreed to buy it from her she said Alls that we need to do is buy the stickers for it and its good to go but little did we know that we would need a tax receipt and insurance for it ( insurance part not the problem) well she said she couldn't find the tax receipt so all she would have to do is call the court house and have them mail her another one and i had asked her Wednesday when she got the chance to give them a call. She said she would so when I got home from work last night I asked her about it and she said no she didn't call because she just got a letter in the mail saying she owes 45 dollars on it. We are making payments of 200 every two weeks. And i feel like we should not pay theanother whole 200 payment till After we Spent what we needed to sp that we can actually get it legalized for us To drive. But here's the other problem she gets mad when I ask her about it so I just want to find a way to get this across to her as civilized as possible. So Should I not make the payment? Should I help pay the taxes on it or should she? And how would be the best way to confront the issue without sounding like a total bitch about it? Part of the reason im so concerned about it is because we Are currently living with her and my brother also and I just don't want no drama because for right now I do got to live with chick. My brother has no part in the agreement made between us 3 i just don't want have him deal with the nagging and bitching from her about this because she is already on his case about everything else.
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
RADmomma
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Honestly... Buying things like this from family/friends is rarely worth the hassle.
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Wow.  Laws are different in different areas, but all I've heard of is that you need the title to the vehicle which proves ownership.

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Taxes are part if owning the vehicle. Different states collect differently for example I pay mine when I get my tags but my Grannie in VA pays a personal property tax before she pays the small fee for get tags. You are buying the truck that'd an expense of owning a vehicle. The bank doesn't pay the taxes while you finance with them why should she? I can't beleive you didn't know insurance is also part if it
augsmom
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I think she said insurance is not the problem.

You can usually pull up the tax info online with the VIN number.  She may owe a lot more than she is letting on. 

When I got a car from my family member, there were no taxes due on it.  We had to get the title and take it to the DMV.  He had to sign it over to me and put it in my name on the back of the title.  However, if you are making payments to her, I would assume she would hold the title in her name until it was paid for?  Like a loan?  (Like the car we have now, the bank keeps the title until it's paid off).

Get everything in writing - keep a list of your payments - have her initial when she receives payments from you - pay by check, so you have the cancelled check, or money order and save the tab/receipt.  Write up a contract that says that she has agreed to sell you truck for a certain amount and you agree to make monthly payments in a certain amount.  Everyone sign it.  Put it in a super safe place.

If you don't, we're all going to see you on Judge Judy.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM

My honest thought is that since she's not honoring your agreement (was it in writing or verbal, I always try to get an agreement like this in writing) is that I'd give her the vehicle back and not pay anything else.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)