Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Thanksgiving recipes

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM
  • 9 Replies

Thanksgiving is just a week away. If you are like me, you are starting to plan what is going to be on the table.
Maybe you have things you just have to have for thanksgiving dinner.
Maybe you are looking to add a new side dish to your dinner.

Let's help each other out. Post your favorite recipe(s) for a thanksgiving dish.

by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Swiss vegetable medley
16 oz bag of frozen mixed veggies (thawed)
1 10.75 oz can of cream of mushroom soup
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup sour cream
6 oz French friend onions (we like to use the cheddar ones)
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat over to 350. Set aside 1/4 cup of Swiss cheese and 1/4 cup of sour cream.

In a bowl, mix the remaining ingredients. Put them in a 2 qt baking dish and cook on 350 for 30 minutes.

Sprinkle with remaining cheese and French fried onions and place back in the over until cheese has melted.
jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM

http://www.robarnieanddawn.com/index.php?q=node/5033

Looking for a new way to cook a turkey? We made this turkey last week as a trail run. It turned out great. 

stykir
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM

i wish i knew the "recipe". i've always hated the orange canned yams, but my mil makes some sort of sweet potato that's amazingly yummy (and probably terrible for you). it's not made from the orange sweet potatoes though, they're white (but still apparently called a sweet potato? I'm not much of a cook so i forget) last year i helped her a little bit, but i don't remember how she made them, so i'm paying attention this year. 

we always go to her house and my mom sometimes will cook something too. I just help out and do as i'm asked lol.

jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Lol. Sounds like a white yam! I actually have a big one in my cabnet that i dont know what to do with along with 2 regular yams! 

If its a recipe you like, take a notepad with you and as she is making it write down what she puts in it and how long to cook it. :)

Quoting stykir:

i wish i knew the "recipe". i've always hated the orange canned yams, but my mil makes some sort of sweet potato that's amazingly yummy (and probably terrible for you). it's not made from the orange sweet potatoes though, they're white (but still apparently called a sweet potato? I'm not much of a cook so i forget) last year i helped her a little bit, but i don't remember how she made them, so i'm paying attention this year. 

we always go to her house and my mom sometimes will cook something too. I just help out and do as i'm asked lol.

stykir
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM

yeah, i don't think she actually uses a recipe. I kinda remember peeling it and boiling it, just until it's fork tender. Then she had me put it in a skillet with some brown sugar and....a couple other things maybe? that's the part i can't remember lol but i do remember her saying "i just eyeball it". i LOVE them but had never had them that way (or heard of a white sweet potato) until i met my husband and ate there for the holidays.

Quoting jobberwocky:

Lol. Sounds like a white yam! I actually have a big one in my cabnet that i dont know what to do with along with 2 regular yams! 

If its a recipe you like, take a notepad with you and as she is making it write down what she puts in it and how long to cook it. :)

Quoting stykir:

jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Interesting! My mom will be here for thanksgiving so in hoping she likes yams and can make them into something. I don't like them! My son loves them though.

Quoting stykir:

yeah, i don't think she actually uses a recipe. I kinda remember peeling it and boiling it, just until it's fork tender. Then she had me put it in a skillet with some brown sugar and....a couple other things maybe? that's the part i can't remember lol but i do remember her saying "i just eyeball it". i LOVE them but had never had them that way (or heard of a white sweet potato) until i met my husband and ate there for the holidays.

Quoting jobberwocky:

Quoting stykir:

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM

that sounds gross

Quoting jobberwocky:

Swiss vegetable medley
1 cup sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat over to 350. Set aside 1/4 cup of Swiss cheese and 1/4 cup of sour cream.

In a bowl, mix the remaining ingredients. Put them in a 2 qt baking dish and cook on 350 for 30 minutes.

Sprinkle with remaining cheese and French fried onions and place back in the over until cheese has melted.

jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM
It's actually really good. Very similar to a green bean casserole.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

that sounds gross

Quoting jobberwocky:

Swiss vegetable medley
1 cup sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste

youngmotherof1
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
That's exactly what I was going to say! I love green bean casserole

Quoting jobberwocky:

It's actually really good. Very similar to a green bean casserole.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

that sounds gross

Quoting jobberwocky:

Swiss vegetable medley
1 cup sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)