Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my dd's teacher is p^$$ing me off...

Posted by   + Show Post
My dd is in the second grade and right now I am fighting the school to test her for dyslexia, her teacher specializes in special education and agrees that Dd shows many signs of dyslexia and is backing me up with the school sounds good right?
Until you get to spelling tests...one of the issues dd has is she reverses her letters...Dd studies all week orally and written with me...she gets excited cause she knows how to spell her words!! However dd gets really bad grades in her spelling tests because of reversing her letters not because the word is spelled wrong..
For example tape she will put her "p" backwards and the teachers marks it wrong...
It has made dd think bad of herself and puts herself down as she says "mommy I try, but I am to stupid to put my letters the correct way" I don't think the teacher should be marking the words wrong if it is spelled correctly just a letter reversed instead I feel she should mark it correct circle the letter and put the letter correctly above...

So I am I wrong to think that or is the teacher right and the word is in correct?
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM
I agree. I'd have her tested with a neuropsychologist. The school district will have to do something if she has a learning disability. And usually the school district fights tooth and nail to not have to help but I'd get her an IEP. Doing testing with a neuropsychologist will show if there are any problems and then you can show the school. They should not be counting it wrong if it's a problem. I'm sorry you're going through this. The teacher should be helping not hurting

Quoting TardisBlue:

So she mirrors her letters instead of mixing letter place? That should not be counted as wrong because "vet" with a mirrored e is still spelled right.

Once she is diagnosed and has an IEP, she might be allowed to do her spelling tests on a tablet or computer.

It is too bad the teacher won't work with her. Dyslexia has nothing to do with intelligence and it is so important for these children to feel encouraged and appreciated. She works hard and that should count for something.
TardisBlue
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Try Googling famous people with dyslexia together with your daughter. There are some aw stone role models out there! You might even be able to contact some of them and you might get a letter or email for your daughter to encourage her.

I knew a special ed teacher who contacted famous people and collected their replies to inspire her students.
mommy5912
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:17 PM
See that is awesome his teacher is working with you!! I would be ok if she took a half a point away , but just to mark it completely wrong sucks

Quoting TardisBlue:

Our oldest son is gifted, but his handwriting is still pretty bad. His teacher has discussed this with us, including our son in the conversations, and for certain assignments he now loses points if his writing is too sloppy. Projects that they work on for several days, such as posters, have to have neat writing on them. Other projects, such as writing in class are more about getting the ideas on the paper and she will not take off points on those. When he gets inspired and the words start flowing, he starts writing like a doctor. Lol!

It is so awesome to have a teacher on our side. With our oldest daughter, we have been through hell and back to fight her teachers and the school.

mommy5912
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM
We have an appointment with her doctor next week :)

Quoting jconney80:

I agree. I'd have her tested with a neuropsychologist. The school district will have to do something if she has a learning disability. And usually the school district fights tooth and nail to not have to help but I'd get her an IEP. Doing testing with a neuropsychologist will show if there are any problems and then you can show the school. They should not be counting it wrong if it's a problem. I'm sorry you're going through this. The teacher should be helping not hurting

Quoting TardisBlue:

So she mirrors her letters instead of mixing letter place? That should not be counted as wrong because "vet" with a mirrored e is still spelled right.

Once she is diagnosed and has an IEP, she might be allowed to do her spelling tests on a tablet or computer.

It is too bad the teacher won't work with her. Dyslexia has nothing to do with intelligence and it is so important for these children to feel encouraged and appreciated. She works hard and that should count for something.

mommy5912
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Thank you that is awesome idea!!!

Quoting TardisBlue:

Try Googling famous people with dyslexia together with your daughter. There are some aw stone role models out there! You might even be able to contact some of them and you might get a letter or email for your daughter to encourage her.

I knew a special ed teacher who contacted famous people and collected their replies to inspire her students.

TardisBlue
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:22 PM
http://www.thepowerofdyslexia.com/famous-dyslexics/

On my phone so I can't make it clicky. McDreamy is on that list, Kiera Knightly, Tom Cruise, Cher, Einstein, Da Vinci...cool!
mommy5912
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Yes I was just looking at the list it is very cool!!!

Quoting TardisBlue:

http://www.thepowerofdyslexia.com/famous-dyslexics/

On my phone so I can't make it clicky. McDreamy is on that list, Kiera Knightly, Tom Cruise, Cher, Einstein, Da Vinci...cool!

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

When a p is backwards, it is actually a q, so really it IS spelled wrong, and should be marked as such. It only helps collect the data proving the dyslexia too though.

TardisBlue
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM
To me, taking of points for mirroring would be like taking of points because the child in a wheelchair did not run around the field in the required time.
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM

It's still wrong.  You have to remind her that we all make mistakes and that learning to write her letters the right way is important and that you and her teacher are trying to get her extra help to deal with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)