Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my dd's teacher is p^$$ing me off...

Posted by   + Show Post
My dd is in the second grade and right now I am fighting the school to test her for dyslexia, her teacher specializes in special education and agrees that Dd shows many signs of dyslexia and is backing me up with the school sounds good right?
Until you get to spelling tests...one of the issues dd has is she reverses her letters...Dd studies all week orally and written with me...she gets excited cause she knows how to spell her words!! However dd gets really bad grades in her spelling tests because of reversing her letters not because the word is spelled wrong..
For example tape she will put her "p" backwards and the teachers marks it wrong...
It has made dd think bad of herself and puts herself down as she says "mommy I try, but I am to stupid to put my letters the correct way" I don't think the teacher should be marking the words wrong if it is spelled correctly just a letter reversed instead I feel she should mark it correct circle the letter and put the letter correctly above...

So I am I wrong to think that or is the teacher right and the word is in correct?
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Replies (21-30):
brysonsmommy_10
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting KairisMama:

When a p is backwards, it is actually a q, so really it IS spelled wrong, and should be marked as such. It only helps collect the data proving the dyslexia too though.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM

That is in your favor for the testing OP......  Explain to dd that even though the teacher does know what she means, she has to follow the guidelines for spelling tests set up for whole grade.  I do not know if this is true for your school or not.   Hug your dd extra tight and tell her she is doing the best she can at the moment, you are proud of her for those efforts and not giving up.

Heath77
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:11 PM
My son is in first grade and has done that twice with the p and his teacher did not mark the word wrong.
Heath77
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM
My son knows a p is not a q, but he is still young and remembering how to write letters. He knows p, but sometimes writes it wrong. He's in first grade though. Maybe second they expect the students to have the letters down pat. I don't think my son is dsylexic though. I would push for testing asap so if modifications are needed for your child they can be put in place asap.
DallasCowboys81
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Mt ds is in 1st grade and does this also, i was told allot of kids do its not a big deal. Hmm
Bambooflute
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM

You know the wrong mark can be hurt for kids self confidence feeling,I always don't like that,it's not good.

RosePetalTears
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I just dealt with this for my second grader. Start with the school psychologist and get in touch with all of the specialty teachers (speech/occupational/etc). They are the people that have to start doing the academic part of dyslexia testing.

I would also set up an app with her ped. There is a medical aspect to it as well.

If they school won't help you call the district office and talk to the head of the special ed dept.

hugs. keep pushing momma! It sucks but if you don't fight tooth and nail for the evaluation nobody will do it.

mommy5912
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:48 PM
My dd has been reversing numbers and letter since k...been brushed off saying it's normal...however this year she still does and struggles hard with it...she also reads words backwards "saw" as "was"

Quoting DallasCowboys81:

Mt ds is in 1st grade and does this also, i was told allot of kids do its not a big deal. Hmm

matofour
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Have her tested. Get an Iep in place. Until that happens, nothing you can do about the spelling.
After that, you can put it in her Iep to not be counted off for letter reversals.
My daughter is dyslexic, she is not counted off for reversals.
But, she also doesn't get spelling tests. Not worth it for her.
You need an Iep in place for her.
mysticatgal
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM
I hate to say it because I know you hate seeing dd sad but the teacher is right to mark it wrong. If dd got that exception when is it not ok? I hate for her to use the excuse in a work environment when it's really not good. People with learning disorders have more to overcome but they learn how to do letters correctly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)