Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my dd's teacher is p^$$ing me off...

Posted by   + Show Post
My dd is in the second grade and right now I am fighting the school to test her for dyslexia, her teacher specializes in special education and agrees that Dd shows many signs of dyslexia and is backing me up with the school sounds good right?
Until you get to spelling tests...one of the issues dd has is she reverses her letters...Dd studies all week orally and written with me...she gets excited cause she knows how to spell her words!! However dd gets really bad grades in her spelling tests because of reversing her letters not because the word is spelled wrong..
For example tape she will put her "p" backwards and the teachers marks it wrong...
It has made dd think bad of herself and puts herself down as she says "mommy I try, but I am to stupid to put my letters the correct way" I don't think the teacher should be marking the words wrong if it is spelled correctly just a letter reversed instead I feel she should mark it correct circle the letter and put the letter correctly above...

So I am I wrong to think that or is the teacher right and the word is in correct?
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Replies (31-40):
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Have you explained to DD that you suspect she has dyslexia and what it is? DD has an IEP for speech delays that affect her learning and we do not allow her to call herself stupid, no matter much she struggles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Reversing letters like b, p, d is deveoplmentally acceptable until 3rd grade. Reversing letters itself wouldn't be cause for alarm if he's not showing other symptoms along with it.

Quoting DallasCowboys81:

Mt ds is in 1st grade and does this also, i was told allot of kids do its not a big deal. Hmm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thethrivingmom
by New Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM
My heart breaks for your little girl! This must be so frustrating for both of you! Regarless of whether the word should be marked wrong, her teacher who specializes in special education should take a few minutes out of her day to speak to your daughter about it. Even without a diagnosis, she could reassure your daughter that she knows that she can spell the words correctly, that she just has some struggles with forming some of the letters. It does NOT mean that she isn't smart. She needs to let her know that she believes in her and that you will all work to get her the help that she needs so she can show everyone just how smart she is. And if her teacher can share that list of famous dyslexic people, that would be helpful. It is wonderful that you are so involved amd encouraging with your dd, but having those things come from her teacher can be even more powerful. Good luck!
heather77g
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM

as sad as it is, the teacher should still mark it wrong because well - it is wrong. The collection of the wrong answers based of her writing the letter backwards will help you in the future. When are they going to test her?

MommaVoo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Quoting TardisBlue:

So she mirrors her letters instead of mixing letter place? That should not be counted as wrong because "vet" with a mirrored e is still spelled right.

Once she is diagnosed and has an IEP, she might be allowed to do her spelling tests on a tablet or computer.

It is too bad the teacher won't work with her. Dyslexia has nothing to do with intelligence and it is so important for these children to feel encouraged and appreciated. She works hard and that should count for something.

this... why on earth would he mark her wrong when he thinks she may be dyslexic?!?!? Its like saying to your friend "I think you may be an alcoholic, lets go to the bar". When you identify a possible diagnosis of something you need to start looking at the person as thought they might have it.. so the teacher should be lenient right now!

CafeMom Tickers
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM

if she's writing a letter backwards - it's not spelled wrong. 

mjande4
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

This is exactly what's wrong with education.  Instead of owning the fact that the words are spelled incorrectly, too many of you are concerned about self-esteem.  Newflash, just because you want the girl's feelings not to get hurt doesn't mean the mistakes are acceptable.  The teacher should be marking them wrong.  The girl does not have an official diagnosis.  If and when she does, then the special education teacher can grade how he/she chooses, however, it doesn't change the fact the spelling is still incorrect.

Pnukey
by Jennifer on Nov. 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Until you have an IEP in place, the teacher is doing what she's supposed to be doing. She also needs documentation that your DD needs help - proof that her dyslexia is affecting her school work. 

trainlady
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I agree with you. My youngest daughter is dyslexia and is now 42 years old and owns her own company. We discovered this when she was in the third grade. We went to the state board of education insisting on examination, which proved she was dyslexic. We found that if she worse amber colored glasses it helped her tremendously. The teacher should account for all the letters of the word being there if they are correct but reversed. She is punishing the child for something she has no control over. You are going to have to work with the school and find a common ground for the child so she doesn't feel as though she is bad. She needs support and guidance now, not punishment. We used to let my daughter put a mirror on the table at night when she was doing homework so she could hold up her papers and read them flawlessly. Worked wonders and the amber glasses worked well too. Get a cheap pair of sunglasses that are very lightly tinted amber and see if that works.

sweetnsassymami
by Diabla on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I agree with dawn.
Quoting silverdawn99:

unfortantely we cant sheild our children for every little hurt. you have to be the strong one and if its wrong its wrong. you cant expect all teachers to let it slide

Quoting mommy5912:

No right now it is hurting dd emotionally..that is killing me

Quoting silverdawn99:

its still incorrect so she has to mark it wrong and it will actually work in your favor since it will prove that she needs help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)