Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my dd's teacher is p^$$ing me off...

Posted by   + Show Post
My dd is in the second grade and right now I am fighting the school to test her for dyslexia, her teacher specializes in special education and agrees that Dd shows many signs of dyslexia and is backing me up with the school sounds good right?
Until you get to spelling tests...one of the issues dd has is she reverses her letters...Dd studies all week orally and written with me...she gets excited cause she knows how to spell her words!! However dd gets really bad grades in her spelling tests because of reversing her letters not because the word is spelled wrong..
For example tape she will put her "p" backwards and the teachers marks it wrong...
It has made dd think bad of herself and puts herself down as she says "mommy I try, but I am to stupid to put my letters the correct way" I don't think the teacher should be marking the words wrong if it is spelled correctly just a letter reversed instead I feel she should mark it correct circle the letter and put the letter correctly above...

So I am I wrong to think that or is the teacher right and the word is in correct?
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Replies (41-46):
got2monsters
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM
It should be counted right.
SaraW1989
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM
It's not spelled right. Why eouldnt she count not wrong? Until she's diagnosed with some thing, the teacher is under no obligation to give her a break.
JaimieP
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I worked in a second grade class room and students that kept having issues with this would have a second test during the first 5 minutes of recess.  It doesn't change the grade in the grade book, but it helps them emotionally.  Have them give her a "ORAL" spelling test.  Then the teacher write the word as the student spells it.  If she gets it right then she gets a sticker or something.  This shows your daughter and lets your show her teacher that she knows the word, but she has trouble writing it.

Good Luck!

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Can the teacher give her a verbal test instead? Writing letters backwards is a common mistake for children up as high as third grade. It doesn't necessarily mean they have dyslexia. I saw it often with my students in second and third grades. I gave them reminders and didn't worry about it, and by the end of the year, most of them rarely made reversals. Often it's just developmental.

Don't forget, the grade is for spelling, not for handwriting. There is a difference.

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 5:17 PM

This is correct.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Reversing letters like b, p, d is deveoplmentally acceptable until 3rd grade. Reversing letters itself wouldn't be cause for alarm if he's not showing other symptoms along with it.

Quoting DallasCowboys81:

Mt ds is in 1st grade and does this also, i was told allot of kids do its not a big deal. Hmm

NDADanceMom
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM
The teacher has to follow the standards and rubric of the grade. Until she has an iep she is graded like every other kid. That is what an iep is for, so teachers are allowed to do things differently, like an oral test.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)