Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Seizure

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM
  • 17 Replies

My son was with his father today and his friend who is a nurse.He told me my son had a seizure! Hes never had one before. I guess his eyes were shaking and staring off into space for a min. He was not shaking or anything. I am freaking out now! I will be calling the doctor tomorrow. The nurse said it is called an absence seizure and they are common but still scared! Hes never had one before! Any advise would help a lot! Any of your children with them?

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Did he have a fever? Could it have been a febrile seizure?
irishluck112211
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM
No he doesn't. They said after he had it he was fine. Like nothing happened.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM
My daughter has febrile seizures. Sometimes they hit before the fever hits. Sometimes, she perfectly fine right before and right after. Sometimes she has convulsions. During the seizures, she spaces out, eyes glassed over, body turns blue, lips turn purple and she goes limp. It's the scariest thing.

Quoting irishluck112211:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

irishluck112211
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I have never seen him have one. Hes also 7 and febrile seizure i think they normal out grow by then i think. Lets just say i will be watching him like a hawk! 

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

My daughter has febrile seizures. Sometimes they hit before the fever hits. Sometimes, she perfectly fine right before and right after. Sometimes she has convulsions. During the seizures, she spaces out, eyes glassed over, body turns blue, lips turn purple and she goes limp. It's the scariest thing.

Quoting irishluck112211:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Yes, they usually outgrow them by the age of 5. Definitely mention it to his doctor. Hope everything turns out okay!

Quoting irishluck112211:

I have never seen him have one. Hes also 7 and febrile seizure i think they normal out grow by then i think. Lets just say i will be watching him like a hawk! 

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting irishluck112211:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

irishluck112211
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Thank You!

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Yes, they usually outgrow them by the age of 5. Definitely mention it to his doctor. Hope everything turns out okay!

Quoting irishluck112211:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting irishluck112211:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Absence seizures are serious and need to be treated. I'd call the pedi ASAP and in the meantime before you see a neurologist try to record one of them so they can see it. My son had an abnormal EEG (he had one for 24 hours) and now we have to watch him for absence seizures
irishluck112211
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM
What's an EEG? What so they do?

Quoting jconney80:

Absence seizures are serious and need to be treated. I'd call the pedi ASAP and in the meantime before you see a neurologist try to record one of them so they can see it. My son had an abnormal EEG (he had one for 24 hours) and now we have to watch him for absence seizures

sadmom71
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM

My daughter has had seizures since birth.  Different kind than you are addressing.  Not that any seizure shouldn't be taken seriously!  A 24 hour eeg will reveal if he is hving seizures you can not see and/or if he is having abnormal "spikes".  Before working yourself up though keep in mind we all have small episodes an just don't know it.  Anyone anyay could hget hooked up to an eeg an something could get found our brains just sometimes skip a beat and misfire.  Most times ti goes un noticed.  That's very layman but meant to illustrate that one seizure may not ever mean others.  In our case she has many many small ones all day long and we can't see them but because of testing we know they are there.  So worth it to pursue asking if an eeg is needed.  Best of luck - breath in - breathe out.... repeat : ).

irishluck112211
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 3:40 AM
Thank you! I will ask for one right away.

Quoting sadmom71:

My daughter has had seizures since birth.  Different kind than you are addressing.  Not that any seizure shouldn't be taken seriously!  A 24 hour eeg will reveal if he is hving seizures you can not see and/or if he is having abnormal "spikes".  Before working yourself up though keep in mind we all have small episodes an just don't know it.  Anyone anyay could hget hooked up to an eeg an something could get found our brains just sometimes skip a beat and misfire.  Most times ti goes un noticed.  That's very layman but meant to illustrate that one seizure may not ever mean others.  In our case she has many many small ones all day long and we can't see them but because of testing we know they are there.  So worth it to pursue asking if an eeg is needed.  Best of luck - breath in - breathe out.... repeat : ).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)