Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

12 year old son, cant go to day care anymore.... where does he go?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM
  • 19 Replies

My son Brendan is 12, he is on the higher functioning spectrum, PDD.  He does well in school but I when he turns 13 I cant bring him to the "yOUTH CENTER" anymore.  I dont know what I am going to do.  I may have to quit my job because he cant be home by himself after school.  I live in CT and I dont know if there are any places that will take him when the teachers at school have the day off, or half days or vacations.  I am divorced and his father and I both work.

Any one have any ideas?  Im kinda scared that I will have to quit my job.

thanks,

Kim 

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bella14308
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:07 PM
What about the boys and girls club?
kay283
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry I don't have any advice, just hugs, good luck
luckystars2012
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM
What about a babysitter?
momk316
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM

That is a good idea!  I can google to find out what they offer.

Thanks!

lunyuny
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe YMCA if there is one in your area. The school may have some suggestions also. Try talking with the school counselor
Beautifulmom513
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:15 PM

can you get an after school sitter for him?

momk316
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:16 PM

thanks thats a good idea too.  I just have to find someone who has compassion for special needs, just afraid of the cost, and the fear of not really knowing anything about the person, because special needs kids are very vulnerable to predators, I know not all people are like that, but Im just protective.

Also, I would only need some one on the days that he has off of school and I dont know if someone is willing to get paid for only those times, sometimes they want it on a regular basis.

Some people want a weekly rate payment even if they are only watching them on occassions, or then they charge you an arm an a leg.

Im paranoid sorry!

kim

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:20 PM

You are not paranoid. I quit a good job when I had my son because I didn't want to leave him in daycare or with anyone. Do you have a neighbor who could just come over to your house as needed? That way, your son would still be home, and the neighbor wouldn't have issues with gas money and trying to go out of her way scheduling you. If you are not comfortable having someone in your home, you son could go over there. It depends on how long it would be. A little while, or a couple of hours?

momk316
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Believe it or not alot of my neighbors are elderly..... or they work.  My neighborhood is not the type to talk with other people they kinda stay to themselves.  I will look online for special needs care givers just to see what is available.

thanks....

momk316
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Going to do some laundry

thanks for all of the advice!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN