Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

For all those moms who complained about school supply lists and refuse to buy things.

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

At the end of October my boys had conferences.  Each of their teachers had a wish list outside of their classroom.  My youngest it was the normal single gloves(they use these for kids that don't have gloves in the winter, especially later in the winter when many only have one glove) , supplies for projects that were coming up and stuff like that.  My oldest the list were things that were requested on the supply list.  It was very obvious to me that lots of people didn't provide the classroom with the supplies that were needed.  There is no way a class of 26 kids went through 5200 note cards, 104  expo markers and 104 highlighters in almost 2 months.  So now I am under a dilemia.  Do I go and rebuy supplies so that my son has what he needs or do I hope that the parents who chose not to buy the supplies will now step up.  I volunteer in at the school and as of last week all the wants were still there so now I am starting to rebuy supplies that I did provide in the beginning.  Think about this.  Where would your kids be without parents like me who do buy supplies and will restock the teacher?

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I buy throughout the year and a few of us parents will ask our teacher do they need anything for the classroom we can pick up during our grocery lists...... Snacks is not on the supply list but about 5 different families have been randomly sending in the group size (20 little bags in one big bag) snacks for the whole class.  We have sent in gallon size jugs of hand sanitizer that the teacher could refill the little ones she has around the classroom for art projects and/or science time.

oOoLeilanioOo
by ♥Leilani♥ on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I got what my child's class asked for and we normally get extra. Here's a bump though.

Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM
We don't have this issue at the school. Everyone brings what is asked for. I've never met moms. who didn't until getting on here.
I'd just buy more.
kimber2465
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM

i have stockpile of schools supplies. i always send in a few extras. 

mommy2boys03
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM

This is the first year I have ever had a teacher ask for more of anything other than things for special projects or things like tissues, baby wipes,  or paper towels.  I was just amazed at the amount of basic needs that were out so quickly in the year.  Snacks for my one son is for the entire class and for my older son each child brings their own which is fine too.  I wasn't including that type of thing.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I'm so glad our district supplies it all themselves.  The only things parents need to supply are bookbags, winter gear, and lunchboxes if they eat cold lunch.  And even then, the school has freebies for low income families.  We pay higher taxes, but it's worth it.

Oh, and the local Texas Roadhouse has 2 nights a month where they donate a percentage of their profits to the school.  Other restuarants sponsor other schools, and that pays for many extras!

mom23heathens
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM
I buy in bulk so much so that i have 2 kids in their 20's and i still have several cases of stuff i bought when they were in elementary. I haven't had to buy paper ever for my 5th grader. I pick up things like glue,markers and crayons when they're on sale in August. It always puzzles me to see people with only 1box of crayons . they're 25¢. in a months they'll be $1.50. I send in double whatever is on the list and that's all. I check my kids pouch in her binder and replace what she needs. i sent in 4 boxes of colored pencils. I noticed she was missing some and I asked her what happened to her extras and ahead said her teachers kept them but I just got a note asking me to check her supplies and replace what's missing. that's what I question.
OrangeDreamPop
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM
My babies aren't in school yet, and I already dread having to deal with school supply stuff.
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM
I didnt like what I had to buy, but we did buy. We do every year. Its just a pain in the butt some of the stuff they require. Sorry your having to re buy it again. Maybe.school supplies should be on sale all year long not just.the beginning.
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Same here. But I would probably grab a few things on the list. Even though it's crap not all parents contribute I would hate that my child is going with out the supplies needed in class

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

We don't have this issue at the school. Everyone brings what is asked for. I've never met moms. who didn't until getting on here.

I'd just buy more.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)