Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you drink when you go out to dinner with your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

A friend of mine was telling me about how the last two times she went out with her husband there was a couple (same couple both times) at the same restaurant with their 2 small children.  Both adults were drinking coronitas (large margaritas with corona turned upside down in them).  There were no other adults present in their party and there is no public transporation in the area of town they were in.

Do you think this behavior is irresponsible or is it ok?  Would you do it? 

Would you ever drive with your kids in the car after consuming a large alcoholic drink (or any alcohol at all)?

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Replies (21-30):
Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM
My husband will have a beer or two if we go out. I don't drink if the kids are with us. I drive if he has a drink whether our kids are with us or not.
TatyBear
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
No. I don't drive period

Quoting amonkeymom:

But, do you then drive with the kids in the car?

Quoting TatyBear:

Yes I do. And I'm.single *gasp* lol

Mommylovesdada
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:34 PM
I will have one beer but that's it. Its usually gone before the food arrives anyway. No one I could drink like your friends, I'm a lightweight!!
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

yes but we do not get intoxicated and then drive home.  just like when we go out with out the kids if one of us plans on it the other doesnt.

dont forget everyone has a different tollerance level to alcohol and while the bg corona ritas maybe wat too much for one person another maybe able to drink 2 of them before they even start to see/feel the drink.

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I would never drink around my kids.

SpiritFortress
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:01 PM

No, I don't drink when I go out to dinner with my children. I would never drive after consuming a large alcoholic drink, especially if my children were in the vehicle. 

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

No I don't drink while out with my kids and I would never drive with my kids after having even one drink. It is just not something I'm willing to do. Hubby and I rarely drink anyways so this is never really anything that comes up. I think it's dangerous behavior to drive after drinking large cocktails. If they were not planning on driving until hours later then I can understand that. But when you're out for dinner typically you are not going to sit there for hours.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I see no problem enjoying a drink even if your children are there.  It can be important to teach them moderation, since they learn by example.

But for both parents to drink to the point of questionable sobriety and then drive is setting a bad example.

When DH and I go out, he might have a beer and let me drink.  He can easily handle 3 beers, so one is fine.  When I'm letting him drink, however, I can't have any.  I don't handle my alcohol as well.

deedeezepeda3
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM
2 moms liked this
I would if the amount of alcohol was within the legal limit of what is considered safe to drive. I also would base it off my own tolerance. The legal limit here is 3 drinks. I don't drive after 2.

Quoting amonkeymom:

Walking distance is one thing, but would you drink something as big as a margarita mixed with a corona and then drive?

Quoting deedeezepeda3:

Ya as long as its no more than two drinks, but we live walking distance to several restaurants.

SoKamele
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Irresponsible Yes

No I would not.

No I would not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN