Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you drink when you go out to dinner with your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

A friend of mine was telling me about how the last two times she went out with her husband there was a couple (same couple both times) at the same restaurant with their 2 small children.  Both adults were drinking coronitas (large margaritas with corona turned upside down in them).  There were no other adults present in their party and there is no public transporation in the area of town they were in.

Do you think this behavior is irresponsible or is it ok?  Would you do it? 

Would you ever drive with your kids in the car after consuming a large alcoholic drink (or any alcohol at all)?

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Replies (31-40):
lillettemomma
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I don't like to drink and drive personally but I have no issues drinking around my kids.... my parents drank around me all the time
CaliBeachBabies
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't. If I do, then dh abstains.
It's simple, one parent needs to be sober to drive.
vwd_johnson
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Not everyone digests alcohol the same.

Quoting KenneMaw:

The behavior is irresponsible, whether you have kids in the car or not.   I would never do it, but DH and I rarely ever drink (he never drinks, and I may have 1 per year).    I think 1 or 2 beers max for the driver is enough.  If you drink any liquor or wine, then someone else needs to drive.   I don't care how many times you say you are fine and you can drive perfectly, beleive me, you can't.   Your judgement is impaired.  Period.  End of story.

katemckenzie
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I'll have a beer with dinner.

meshawmama
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I would not.  If my husband and I were out and wanted a drink, we would decide first which one of us could have a drink, and which one would be the driver.  We never talked about it or anything, it was just what we did.  It doesn't matter anymore, as I don't drink at all anymore, due to health issues.  But we would never both drink outside of the house together, if there was not a sober person to drive us.

momof3grls4517
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

My dh and I have had beers at dinner with our kids. We have also driven with them home afterwards. He normally drives and we both don't get wasted.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:19 AM

One drink in two hour plus is okay to drive 

Night_Roane
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I drink Dr pepper lol. Im not paying that much extra to drink alcohol out of their cup when I can drink it just fine out of my cup at home :)

(& yes, the Dr pepper is over-priced, too, but Ill take a caffeine addiction over an alcohol addiction any day)
SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM

You realize certain beers are pretty lethal right? My one glass of sweet wine does not make me drunk.

Quoting KenneMaw:

The behavior is irresponsible, whether you have kids in the car or not.   I would never do it, but DH and I rarely ever drink (he never drinks, and I may have 1 per year).    I think 1 or 2 beers max for the driver is enough.  If you drink any liquor or wine, then someone else needs to drive.   I don't care how many times you say you are fine and you can drive perfectly, beleive me, you can't.   Your judgement is impaired.  Period.  End of story.

CafeMom Tickers
saraface5383
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM
This exactly.

Quoting Lalasmomma13:

If we do decide to have drinks with dinner only one of us does and it's never in excess. We have never been drunk together and never been drunk around the kids
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN