Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Christmas Traditions

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM
  • 48 Replies

I i'm expecting my second daughter next year and currently have a 14 year old daughter from a previous relationship and just wondered what are your Christmas stocking traditions ?

I have always had a Christmas stocking at my house that Santa filled for my daughter and nowhere else and now my boyfriend's mom has already made a stocking for my unborn daughter and plans to hang and fill, but not for myself or my other daughter. 

How would you feel about someone taking the tradition you want to have with your kids and not even asking and also only including their blood relative ?

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM
For stockings we usually do movies or a video game of some kind, tooth brushes, tooth paste, and a chocolate orange.

Compromise, that is key when it comes to holidays. Do some of each traditions or.try to make it.so you can cimbine them and make a new one. Id be upset if I wasnt able to do some of my traditions..
AngieGomez
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I understand compromise, but how would you feel if your inlaws were only including certain members of the family ?

mommy2girls0506
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:49 PM

We are going to be changing some of our traditions cause we moved in July but we are still going to keep some of the ones we had before.

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:41 PM
8 moms liked this

I wouldn't allow it. I wouldn't care about a stocking for me, but there had better be a stocking or equivelant for all of my kids.

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be ok with in laws doing separate stockings at their house. I don't see a problem with that. But I would not tolerate it if they did not do it for ALL of my kids. My FIL gives all 3 of my kids money for Christmas and my oldest is not his grandchild by blood just by marriage. I just don't think that is ok.

precious54
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:20 PM

we do stockings with small gifts inside

jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't care if she did one for me but I'd tell her if she is going to one for the baby she needs to do one for my other daughter as well. That's how it's always been in my family, either all the kids or none. I came from a blended family and I now have a blended family and in both cases it was either all or nothing.

RandiBear
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 2:10 AM
1 mom liked this

First, you need to get your boyfriend on board. You have to be on the same page with him ready and willing to not just support you, but to take the lead. Then sit her down and explain nicely that you appreciate her efforts and everything but she needs to include both your children. She may be of the mindset that kids over a certain age don't get stockings. My grandparents believed that if you were too old to believe in Santa, you were too old for a stocking (seeing as Santa fills them) and explained to little kids that Santa only comes for little kids

MommaVoo
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:24 AM

thats rough, as the new baby is her family too but she should include your daughter at least! Personally stockings are from Santa and filled with small candies, fruit and toys and I dont have an issue with other stockings as they can be explained as being from grandma or whoever where your xmas morning stocking is from santa.

superwoman8977
by Trace on Nov. 19, 2013 at 7:21 AM

we dont do stockings.  I hate Christmas so my kids are lucky to get a tree and gifts, however we do celebrate St Nicks night which is December 6th and we do a gift in their shoes for that day.  My mom and sisters do stockings at our Christmas gathering (we go up there for thanksgiving, then they come down here for a gathering like 2 weeks before Christmas) and I dont make a huge deal out of it.  Pick your battles and stockings shouldnt be one of them, for heaven's sake the child can have 2 stockings.  Oh and as for the fact you and your daughter dont have one, well my mom does the same thing to my middle child.  I dont let it get to me, I love my children and thats all that matters.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)