Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is 13 too young to babysit?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:36 PM
  • 68 Replies

My neighbor is going on a date this weekend and asked my 13yo to babysit for her infant son, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that.

Is 13 too young to babysit?

by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I think it depends on the maturity level, but 13 is not too young.

MommaVoo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

depends on the infant, age, needs ect.. I wasnt much older when I first babysat a baby and I think I babysat at 13 older kids. 

greenlove2013
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Depends on how mature the 13 yo is. I have my nieghbor watch my daughter sometimes.
jujubear1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM
I babysat my infant nephew at 13, but he was a dream baby and my parents were next door.
cindilou13
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Depends on the age and experience of the sitter and the age and actions of the sittee. 

I was babysitting kids from the age of 10 on.  I think the first infant I watched completely by myself I was either 11 or 12, I can't remember exactly but it was in junior high so I was minimum 11 maximum 13.  I had a lot of experience with babysitting of all ages in general though, my mom watched kids at home till I was 11 and I was always around and helping if not at school. I am sure I didn't help with infants right away, but I remember feeding, carrying, diapering infants before I was 10 and don't ever remember being over my head or feeling like I couldn't handle it. 

I wouldn't worry about an abritary age but about whether she can handle it, is comfortable with it, has experience, does the baby know her, etc. 

grannywilson
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I babysat for my next door neighbor's children when I was 13.  I was resposible enough.  They were not infants.  My mother was next door if there was an emergency.  It really does depend of the daughter and the child she is watching.  Will the baby be asleep?  Is it a toddler that falls all the time?  Does she know the baby?  Is she comfortable with taking care of a child this age?  It really depends on many factors.

onethentwins
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM

No it's fine. 

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Most teen babysitters are between 13 and 15 after that they can get other jobs so most stop babysitting as much. Of course it does depend on the maturity of the sitter and how long the parents will be gone... 3...4 hours for a date night no big deal .... Overnight ... Not so good
SunnyDayz-Ahead
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 2:53 PM
I don't want to sound creepy but if I had an infant noone under the age of 18 would watch it, only because if something very bad happened then the sitter could be charged as an adult.
MotherOfBee
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM

No. It depends on the child. I babysat at that age. I kept my 4 year old neighbor whenever her parents had date night and I use to keep my cousin's infant when she needed help. I would feed her on time, change her when needed and play with her. My family had alot of kids, so I was use to taking care of little ones for a few hours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)