Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How much sleep does a 2-3 month old need?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM
  • 5 Replies
My baby is going to be 3 months old next week, and she sleeps most of the day and night. Is that normal? She is awake to feed, and is awake for maybe 4 hours total additionally to that, that's it.
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.babycenter.com/0_your-childs-sleep-and-nap-timeline_10357001.bc

Your child's sleep and nap timeline

How much sleep does your child need? Every child is different. Some babies need up to two hours more or less sleep than other babies, and some toddlers and older children need as much as an hour more or less than their peers.

This timeline gives you an idea of how much sleep children typically need at various ages and how sleep and nap patterns change as they grow.

Baby

Newborn

About 10 1/2 to 18 hours (in a 24-hour period). Without much of a pattern, your newborn probably sleeps a few minutes to several hours at a time and wakes often to refill his little tummy.

1 month

About 10 1/2 to 18 hours. Your baby's beginning to adapt to the difference between day and night. She'll probably catch most of her shuteye during nighttime hours, but still sleep a lot during the day.

2 months

About 10 1/2 to 18 hours. Though more alert and social now, most babies are still taking two to four (or even more) naps a day. Your baby may start skipping one middle-of-the-night feeding.

3 months

About 10 1/2 to 16 1/2 hours. Some (not all!) babies this age can sleep for long stretches of 6 to 8 hours at night. Most take two or three daytime naps.

6 months

About 13 1/4 to 14 1/4 hours. At night, babies typically log around 9 to 11 hours of sleep. Daytime naps may be down to one in the morning and one in the afternoon (though some babies are still taking three or even four short snoozes).

9 months

About 13 to 14 hours. Nearly three-fourths of babies are nowsleeping through the night (usually defined as not waking up between midnight and 5 a.m.). Some get all their nighttime slumber in a single shot, sleeping 10 to 11 hours without waking. At this age, your baby's likely to take two solid naps a day, morning and afternoon. She may have trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep, thanks to separation anxiety.

katiebug840204
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Sounds normal to me.
c_ramirez8606
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM

When my oldest was that age, he would stay awake for 2 hours straight and then sleep the rest of the day. Just waking up to eat, poop, and cry for no reason.

I think as long as the baby is waking to eat, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

PumpMasterFlex
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Thanks everyone!! Makes me feel a lot better :)
funhappymom
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Totally sounds normal to me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN