Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you clean out your kids things...

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:32 PM
  • 16 Replies

Do you, will you, clean out your child's things in order to make room for the things they will recieve over the holidays?

If so, what will you do with the things you won't be keeping?

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goodnightmama
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
We do every year and we donate them to the local thrift shop. Every once in a while my kids will go through their own toys and bring them to me in a bag to donate.
EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Yes. Even though (as of today) DS is 16. I will clean things out. Mainly because he's a typical teen and won't get to it when I want it done. 

LOL

katiebug840204
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Yes I always do that. I donate the toys that are salvageable.
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM

My 16 year old is the same way, and she's a bit of a hoarder on top of it.  I'll be going through her room next week.

Quoting EyEmTuRtLe:

Yes. Even though (as of today) DS is 16. I will clean things out. Mainly because he's a typical teen and won't get to it when I want it done. 

LOL

EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I think hoarding is a trait older teens have as well. I am almost to scared to walk into my DS's room. I'm not even sure when the last time he vacuumed his room was. Nasty but if he wants to live like a pig so be it. As long as we don't get ants, bees or some ungodly odor from his room... we'll leave him be for a few more weeks.

Quoting amonkeymom:

My 16 year old is the same way, and she's a bit of a hoarder on top of it.  I'll be going through her room next week.

Quoting EyEmTuRtLe:

LOL

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:23 AM

yes yes yes, every few months, it's getting less often now that they're older and most of the crap has been weeded out

this saturday, we're going through their stuff to get rid of some riff raff...not for the holidays, for my own sanity and theirs

goodwill or garbage depending on the condition of the item

some of their toys i have given to my granddaughter and my niece(megablocks, duplo legos, etc.)

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:26 AM
It's not a yearly thing we do, but in the next week or so we are going to be tackling the toys because I can't stand the clutter anymore!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Anything broken gets tossed, anything else gets donated.

I keep their hotwheels cars, their favorite of other toys. I donate anything that causes fights (lol), I donate everything they don't play with a lot, and I donate anything that makes too darn much noise...lol.

waytomanykids10
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Yes we do. We make 4 piles. Pile 1 is stuff that is broken,that goes in the garbage. Pile 2 is stuff they no longer want to keep, that gets donated to our animal shelter thrift store. Pile 3 is stuff they want to keep but they are tired of playing with them, that stuff goes into storage. Within 2 months we pull them back out and the kids play with them for a while. Pile 4 is stuff they still play with so that stays in their rooms. 

TaralynnStewart
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Twice a year. Some toys go in trash. Most get donated from anywhere from goodwill to local churches depending on what it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN