Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Hey everyone. I was just wondering if my son should of had the flu shot or not. Because I was thinking about it, but then, my baby daddy said "no. they inject the flu in you and see if you can fight it or not. I don't want to give him it..." should I have gotten it anywaays or not?
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
lillettemomma
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM
For the flu shot I say no....I gave it to my youngest cause well I wasn't really given a choice by the doctor and she had a horrible reaction to it (or one of the 5 other vaccines she got that day no way to tell) but she got wicked sick and had this crazy rash all over her face both things lasted over 8 days and the Dr tried to convince me that it was a virus she coincidently got at the same time....
ilovemykids323
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM

i would say no but we dont do the flu shot.

sissyboogs
by Katie on Nov. 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM
2 moms liked this

I think you and your "baby daddy" should probably educate yourselves on vaccines and how they work before deciding whether or not they are needed. 

The flu shot contains dead viruses. They are not "injecting the flu in you and seeing if you can fight it or not". They are injecting a dead virus into your body to trigger your immune system to create antibodies. Then, if a live virus enters your body, the idea is that you will already have the antibodies ready to fight it off. 

The flu mist contains live, but weakened viruses. It works the same way. The idea is that the viruses are too weak to cause severe symptoms, and your immune system will still create antibodies to fight off strong, live viruses that enter your body during the flu season. 

One problem with flu vaccines is that there are so many different flu viruses. Each year, scientists try to predict which strains will be most common that season, and those strains are in the vaccine. If your body gets hit with a strain that it hasn't created an antibody for, you're going to get the full blown flu. 

Personally, I think flu vaccines are mostly unneccessary. If you and your children are otherwise healthy, I don't think the flu shot is necessary. If you or your children have some illness that weakens the immune system, that's a different story. Nobody in my household gets a flu shot, but we are generally healthy with strong immune systems. 

SRUsarahSC
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 3:00 PM

If you get the shot it is a dead form of three flu viruses.  Since it is dead, no, he cannot get the flu because he got the shot, no matter how many insist they got the shot and got the flu from it, they are wrong.  It takes two weeks to become fully effective.

Pnukey
by Jennifer on Nov. 23, 2013 at 6:21 PM

We never get them, but it is something that you and the dad need to agree on.

RADmomma
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM
We skip all vaccines.

Good luck with your decision
jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Nov. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM
I don't get it for my son or myself.
ILoveYourWork
by Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
They are not injecting him with the flu to see if he can fight it or not. That is completely inaccurate. The flu shot are antibodies from the DEAD flu virus. Flu mist is a "live" vaccine. You do NOT get the flu from the vaccine. You may feel a little off after but that is a common side effect. If you happen to get the flu right after it's because YOU ALREADY WERE EXPOSED. There is an incubation period. Discuss your concerns with a medical professional
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Nov. 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Quoting beadingmom17:

Our family never gets them.
Forthekids13
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Coming from a mom to a child with a compromised immune system I say its best to do the flu shot not the mist. Not only will you be protecting your child but protecting others that may be in this very same situation as my own. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)