Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich is Racist, Says Portland School Official

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM
  • 75 Replies

Did you know that eating or even talking about a peanut butter and jelly sandwich could be considered racist?

That’s right.

Apparently, it’s because people in some cultures don’t eat sandwich bread. Verenice Gutierrez, principal of Harvey Scott K-8 School in Portland explained in and interview with the Portland Tribune:

“Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year,” the Tribune said.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” Gutierrez asked. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

…The Tribune noted that the school started the new year with “intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives,” to help educators understand their own “white privilege,” in order to “change their teaching practices to boost minority students’ performance.”"Last Wednesday, the first day of the school year for staff, for example, the first item of business for teachers at Scott School was to have a Courageous Conversation — to examine a news article and discuss the ‘white privilege’ it conveys,” the Tribune added.

Gutierrez completed a week-long seminar called “Coaching for Educational Equity,” a program the Tribune says focuses “on race and how it affects life.” She also serves on an administrative committee that focuses on systematic racism.

“Our focus school and our Superintendent’s mandate that we improve education for students of color, particularly Black and Brown boys, will provide us with many opportunities to use the protocols of Courageous Conversations in data teams, team meetings, staff meetings, and conversations amongst one another,” she said in a letter to staff.

You can read more about principal Gutierrez’s sandwich-sensitivity philosophy here.

Next time you’re in the bread aisle at the grocery store, you may want to think twice. Sensitive liberal educators are now recommending the “torta” or the “pita” as a more culturally inclusive alternative.

Wow..just wow.

WHat are your thoughts?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM
3 moms liked this
Well I'm a racist because I ate two PB&J for breakfast and I loved it.
Farmlady09
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM
2 moms liked this

This idiot is too stupid to leave a pet rock alone in her care ... and she certainly should not be allowed to decide or have any control over the education of small children.

armyvet06
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Me too. I am probably going to have one for lunch lol

Quoting DACIA79:

Well I'm a racist because I ate two PB&J for breakfast and I loved it.

CafeMom Tickers
armyvet06
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have to agree

Quoting Farmlady09:

This idiot is too stupid to leave a pet rock alone in her care ... and she certainly should not be allowed to decide or have any control over the education of small children.

CafeMom Tickers
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM
I buy the PBJ uncrustables I love them really cold

Quoting armyvet06:

Me too. I am probably going to have one for lunch lol

Quoting DACIA79:Well I'm a racist because I ate two PB&J for breakfast and I loved it.

Kellie87
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM
What a load of bull!!!! I'm gonna eat my pb&J's and anything else I enjoy. Everyone has their own taste in foods it has NOT A DAMN thing to do with being racist!!! It's food for crying out loud!!! People need to get a life.
kay283
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Wow! That's crazy! Eating bread is American, is it wrong to be American? Everyone should have the right to eat whatever they want, but me feeding my kid pb&j isn't hurting anyone!
eesmommy
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM
I say some people just lack working brain cells and tend to dribble moronicness. How utterly stupid.
Honestly, if you think like that you have to be fair and break it down. Beans and rice, Collards and cornbread, shephards pie, fried beef... its all regional and I guess now its racist.
Why123
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I have never considered myself to be a racist and I had a PB&J sandwich for lunch.

boppysmom2007
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:21 PM
What's next spaghetti and meatballs
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN