Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Get off the couch!!! piog

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM
  • 4 Replies
This isn't about a lazy dh/so, its about my dog. lol

He has been getting on the couch lately even though he knows he's not supposed to be up there. It's usually at night or when we're gone. We've lived here for almost a year now and he's just been doing this the last week or so. Sometimes we tell him to get down and he does, we leave the room and he goes right back up there. He usually sleeps on the carpet, but lately he's preferring the couch or even some piece of clothing that's left on the floor. We can't buy him a bed of his own since he destroys it and humps it.

What can I do to keep him off the couch? I've heard with cats you can use a bitter apple spray. What about for dogs?
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Rotorkitty
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Give him an old blanket with your scent. You could just leave it Ina corner of the room where he can lay on it. Sounds like he just misses being close to someone. My dog doesn't jump on the couch, at least not that I've caught him but does prefer to lay on any stray blanket on the floor. Since he tears up the bed or humps it a blanket won't be too bad if he tears it. And can't really hump it unless it's crumbled up right underneath him.

jconney80
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Ugh how frustrating! I don't really have any advice but I'd be annoyed too. I hope someone else can give some input

rainbowmaker
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Do what i do.....place some large items across the sofa...or simply push up all the cushions upright so that there is no where for the dog to lay....works for me!

Beautifulmom513
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM

my mom has same problem with her dog. she puts the dining room chairs on the couch at night and when they leave the house. or she will simply take the cushions off. she also sometimes just puts huge blankets and sheets on the couches as well. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)