Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Come tax time I'm looking to get a new vehicle. I currently have a Nissan Altima, I do love my car but after spinning out twice this morning because of snow/ice covered roads ( just moved to CO from TX) I've come to the conclusion that I need something 4 wheel drive. I'm leaning towards a Jeep Cherokee Sport but am open to other suggestions. I want something that's moderate in size but not huge and gets decent gas mileage. Thanks!

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Replies (21-30):
Country_Momma89
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM

http://www.perkinsmotors.com/new-Denver-2014-Jeep-Cherokee-Sport-1C4PJMAB8EW140675

This is kinda what I'm looking at. Dealer says they get 21 city and 28 hwy mpg. 

Quoting RADmomma:

So a jeep grand Cherokee ?? The regular Cherokee sport is square. Doesn't offer a lot of head room & isn't good on gas. A jeep grand Cherokee depending on engine size ( 6 or 8 clyinder) is going to be better on gas. But your still going to be in the low teens... But it is taller & offers more interior space.

(We're a jeep family)

Quoting Country_Momma89:

2010 or newer. 

Quoting RADmomma:

What year jeep!!?!

I drive an AWD VW passat wagon! Love it.

Hubby drives a lifted Jeep liberty! He loves it. He owned a Cherokee previously. It wasn't good on gas & didn't have enough head room for him. He's tall. But it was older so that explains some gas mileage.

Country_Momma89
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Friend of mine told me to look into them too so it's on my list.

Quoting RADmomma:

If you don't need the space of an SUV & gas mileage is important I would look into a Subaru... They are AWD and great in the snow! But over great gas mileage!!

kdjdod081013
by New Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Personally I'll take a front wheel drive over a 4 wheel drive for winter driving. I can put my VW Jetta on roads 4wheel drives can't touch in white out conditions and get where I need to be.
Country_Momma89
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM

My altima is front wheel drive and completely sucks in this weather. I don't feel safe in it at all.

Quoting kdjdod081013:

Personally I'll take a front wheel drive over a 4 wheel drive for winter driving. I can put my VW Jetta on roads 4wheel drives can't touch in white out conditions and get where I need to be.

ccnstanczak
by Save Humanity! on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I  have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee sport. i LOVE It!! i got it last march so i still did to use it in snow and ice. I LOVE MY JEEP!

kdjdod081013
by New Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:39 PM
I won't touch a 4 wheel drive in bad weather and I'm an experienced winter driver. I park the truck unless I have to pull something out.

Have you ever done any real winter driving before now? If not you can expect to spin out in anything, whether you keep the car you have now or buy a 4 wheel drive.

Quoting Country_Momma89:

My altima is front wheel drive and completely sucks in this weather. I don't feel safe in it at all.

Quoting kdjdod081013:

Country_Momma89
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Honestly no I haven't. I grew up in MI but didn't get my license until just before moving to TX. We got snow in TX but I literally never left the house because everything closed down due to the roads.

Quoting kdjdod081013:

I won't touch a 4 wheel drive in bad weather and I'm an experienced winter driver. I park the truck unless I have to pull something out.

Have you ever done any real winter driving before now? If not you can expect to spin out in anything, whether you keep the car you have now or buy a 4 wheel drive.

Quoting Country_Momma89:

Quoting kdjdod081013:

kdjdod081013
by New Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:03 PM
I grew up in Indiana and live in Texas now, that's why I asked. Honestly I think you would be wasting money. Your Altima is front wheel drive, unless you live in mountains front wheel drive is almost always safer. It takes time to learn to drive in snow and ice safely. Trying to learn in a 4 wheel drive will give you confidence but that can be your undoing. I've been driving through 9 winters now and can honestly say I never feel totally safe, and I've never had an accident in the winter. I even spin out once in a while.

I went home for Christmas last year when the Christmas blizzard hit. DS developed a 104 degree fever and I had NOTHING there to break it with. I tried all night with what I had and couldn't break it. About 3 am I left my grandma and aunt to try and went out in it. It was white out conditions, ice as snow already a foot deep, and incredibly dangerous. I was white-knuckled the whole way to the store and back, I passed 3 snow plows and innumerable 4 wheel drives stuck in the snow. At one point I had a line of trucks behind me and each time I looked back there was one less. I kept it on the road and moving all the way there and back. It's a 35 minute drive in good weather, it took me 2 hours one way. Not an hour after I walked in the door it was declared a state of emergency and became illegal to be on the roads. I was so scared I was shaking and cried like a baby the minute I got in the door.

The point is you're always going to have butterflies in your stomach, it is normal and they're good. My grandpa always said if you have butterflies and a touch of anxiety you'll be fine, it's when you are absolutely terrified, or completely confident that you need to worry.

Quoting Country_Momma89:

Honestly no I haven't. I grew up in MI but didn't get my license until just before moving to TX. We got snow in TX but I literally never left the house because everything closed down due to the roads.

Quoting kdjdod081013:

Quoting Country_Momma89:

Quoting kdjdod081013:

Country_Momma89
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Thanks very much for your input. I really appreciate it!

Quoting kdjdod081013:

I grew up in Indiana and live in Texas now, that's why I asked. Honestly I think you would be wasting money. Your Altima is front wheel drive, unless you live in mountains front wheel drive is almost always safer. It takes time to learn to drive in snow and ice safely. Trying to learn in a 4 wheel drive will give you confidence but that can be your undoing. I've been driving through 9 winters now and can honestly say I never feel totally safe, and I've never had an accident in the winter. I even spin out once in a while.

I went home for Christmas last year when the Christmas blizzard hit. DS developed a 104 degree fever and I had NOTHING there to break it with. I tried all night with what I had and couldn't break it. About 3 am I left my grandma and aunt to try and went out in it. It was white out conditions, ice as snow already a foot deep, and incredibly dangerous. I was white-knuckled the whole way to the store and back, I passed 3 snow plows and innumerable 4 wheel drives stuck in the snow. At one point I had a line of trucks behind me and each time I looked back there was one less. I kept it on the road and moving all the way there and back. It's a 35 minute drive in good weather, it took me 2 hours one way. Not an hour after I walked in the door it was declared a state of emergency and became illegal to be on the roads. I was so scared I was shaking and cried like a baby the minute I got in the door.

The point is you're always going to have butterflies in your stomach, it is normal and they're good. My grandpa always said if you have butterflies and a touch of anxiety you'll be fine, it's when you are absolutely terrified, or completely confident that you need to worry.

Quoting Country_Momma89:

Quoting kdjdod081013:

Quoting Country_Momma89:

Quoting kdjdod081013:

kdjdod081013
by New Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this
No problem :-) I hope you get it figured out soon and have a safe winter :-)

Quoting Country_Momma89:

Thanks very much for your input. I really appreciate it!

Quoting kdjdod081013:

Quoting Country_Momma89:

Quoting kdjdod081013:

Quoting Country_Momma89:

Quoting kdjdod081013:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)