Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

People should know our kids are Autistic

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:28 PM
  • 6 Replies

Is there a bracelet or some kind of identifying object that our kids can wear that will indicate that our child is disabled?  I know we have the puzzle piece, so maybe have an iron on patch that we as parents can put on their shirts so that when we go out with them and they act up people wont be so harsh on you as soon as they see the puzzle piece they will know, be a little bit more understanding and maybe just watch to see how you handle yourself.  I hate hearing of people who call your kids a brat because they are acting up in a store then because you know how to handle it  take a different appraoch with the disipline than they would.

sorry venting and just trying to help.

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mater-three
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Check out cafepress.com. They have all kinds of shirts and stuff. I saw one that I like that says, "Hey if you keep staring, I'm sure you'll cure my autism.

whovianmum
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I understand where you're coming from,but I think other kids would take it as something else to tease them about and make them feel even more different ya know?I dunno,I mean I know kids are going to tease but why give them ammunition?I could maybe see it for a shopping trip or something...

kaylasmom22
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Then we would need some kind of shirts or tags fir kids who are annoying,rude,misbehave ..... Let people stare who cares what an stranger thinks about you or your family
lillettemomma
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM
There are lots of places that sell really cute autism shirts I don't have them bookmarked on my fone but one I remember said "not only am I cute I'm autistic too"
RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:45 PM

My child is not disabled though. Does he act out every now and then? Yes, some days more than others. Do I get rude glances, hushed comments, and what not from people? Yep, all the time. I can't tell you how maany times I have broken down, or left a store in tears over the hurtful, ignorant words of a stranger(yes, I know I should not let it get to me, but I'm human, and sometimes it hurts). However, having a shirt, or some form of identification is not going to stop people. You would not believe the number of people who tell me "well, he looks perfectly normal, you just need to stop babying him and give him a good spanking. Thats what kids today need!"(this is a direct quote from a women who looked to be in her early 50's)....even after I explain to them he has special needs. (He has ADHD and Aspergers). The sad truth is that some people just don't care. They want to judge and they feel they have the right to make ignorant comments instead of trying to offer support, help, or simply keep their mouths shut.

I will say, for every person that has been ignorant to me and my child, there are those who have been supportive. Who have offered me a smile when he is in the middle of a melt down, when I have a belt full of groceries and I cannot simply leave the store. Who have given me the "I have been there, and this won't last forever, your not alone".

imafuswb
by ★Rainbow Brite★ on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Mobile Photo

All I can think when reading your post...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)