What sort of things do you like to do by yourself?
When you're a wife and a mom, it tends to take up your entire life. But it shouldn't. Women should definitely carve out alone time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that -- in fact, it's kind of wrong if you spend every second of the day with your kids or your husband. Where are you? Who are you? A mom/wife needs to have some time to herself, to unwind, unplug, detangle, whatever. It makes you happier, healthier, and that in turn makes your hubby and kids happier and healthier. Not that it's all about them! Here are 20 solo activities that real moms said they love to do for themselves, by themselves.
1. Take a vacation. Alone!
2. See a therapist.
3. Read a book.
4. Eat. Poop. Sleep.
5. Riding my bike!!
6. Go to the movies.
9. Walk the dog.
10. Peeing, showering, eating, driving, getting my teeth drilled -- seriously, a break is a break!
11. Gym/yoga. Some kind of beauty treatment -- manicure, facial, haircut? Read in peace. Peruse design blogs in peace over a cup of coffee. Clean/rearrange furniture (I know, weird). Shop -- kind of cliche, but I hate shopping with anyone.
12. Other than drink wine? Hmm. Watch a chick flick. I'm talking Lifetime, Hallmark Channel -- REAL chick flicks. Go to the spa. Get my hair done. Shop. Then shop some more. Go for a walk. Zumba.
13. Meditation, exercise (running), grocery shopping (it's so much better when there are no kids with you ...).
14. Socializing, traveling, going to museums, reading -- do people still do that? Creating stuff/hobbies.
15. Girls' weekend, anywhere! (But I guess that's not exactly solo.) I also like to have lunch by myself at a restaurant once in a while.
16. Anything where I can have uninterrupted time and be someone other than "mommy." It's surprising how you forget you can be funny, smart, and insightful when you aren't being constantly interrupted and pulled in multiple directions.
17. Drinking wine!
18. EVERYONE should travel away from their loved ones at least once a year.
19. Play in orchestra. Sing in choir.
20. Get a massage!
... and 21. What is this "solo time" of which you speak? I'm not sure I'm familiar with the concept.
What do you like to do alone? Which of these things do you do?