Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

angel trees

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM
  • 22 Replies

Do you pick a name from them, or adopt a child/family at Christmas?

by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillettemomma
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:05 PM
We are actually on the other side this year we just filled out the paperwork to have our kids added to a giving tree at the 99's cause we have no extra money for gifts
MandaRose83
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:27 PM
We always do it through our church. That way I know it's somebody that someone in the congregation knows. I worry sometimes about going through other places that the parents will take back the gifts to get the money and the kids end up with nothing. :-(
ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:31 PM
We did... My six year old made cry begging to get one so even though money is tight we did it. We will probably do another one because my father in law says he's going to give us money to do a Christmas angel instead of buying the kids presents this year.
aj23
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Generally no. I've known too many to scam the organization's to get more toys then complain about what they did it didn't get. I've also volunteered to help out and saw gifts I bought for one child split up and given to others because the other kids " deserved better gifts"'. I just don't trust that what I donate is going to the intended people. 

There is a local nursing home that has a tree for its residents and I did pick up a name from it this year. The man simply asked for a football themed comforter and is unlikely that they would give such an unusual specific request to someone other than who asked for it. 

aj23
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:49 PM

My son's school does a toy drive for kids and they ask for new toys but they mark each barcode with a black x so that they can't be returned.

Quoting MandaRose83:

We always do it through our church. That way I know it's somebody that someone in the congregation knows. I worry sometimes about going through other places that the parents will take back the gifts to get the money and the kids end up with nothing. :-(

terpmama
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
We donate to the local police/fireman drive.... The police and firemen nominate families and drop off gifts so not only do kids get presents but the cop/firemen get to be the good guys for once.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:53 AM

WE have not done this ::blush::

snowmommy0406
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Each of my kid picks out a kid (my dd always picks a girl and my ds a boy lol) then we buy said kid a full outfit including shoes, and 4-5 toys including 2 from their wish list, I always get the salvation army tree ones

lapcounter
by Super Mom on Nov. 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Use to, then the request became ridiculous to me so we stopped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:10 AM

so sad to think there would be scams going on in such a great type of program. but the nursing home is such a great idea. the older folks are so often overlooked.

Quoting aj23:

Generally no. I've known too many to scam the organization's to get more toys then complain about what they did it didn't get. I've also volunteered to help out and saw gifts I bought for one child split up and given to others because the other kids " deserved better gifts"'. I just don't trust that what I donate is going to the intended people. 

There is a local nursing home that has a tree for its residents and I did pick up a name from it this year. The man simply asked for a football themed comforter and is unlikely that they would give such an unusual specific request to someone other than who asked for it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN