Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Warm floors are bad

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 12 Replies
My floor is warm this week. My cat happily curls up on the warm and toasty tiles. i love standing in that hallway. Suddenly I have radiant heat in one end of the house. this is bad because I am not supposed to have such a heating system. The culprit is a leaking hot water pipe in my slab. my hardwood floor is buckling up in my living room. Dh who is not Bob Vila is being an ostrich, thinking if we just dont mention it it will stop lol. I hate household problems I dont feel equipped to tackle on my own. And I bought this house partly because I was tired of having flooded basements. i guess this is just as bad. but a sump pump wont fix this.
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

get whatever person you need ASAP.  The more he ignores, the worse it will get.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 10:08 PM
i know. he is going to call somebody he knows tomorrow. took him three days to absorb the magnitude I think. my idea is to reroute the pipe through the ceiling and aback to the bath across the hall and put in a loop to the washer next to the hot water heater. no digging the slab that way.
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh no! That does not sound good :( I hope you can get it fixed ASAP. Did you find someone yet?

waytomanykids10
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 7:27 AM

No offence but your husband sounds like an idiot. Why in the world would he ignore a big problem like that?

Mater-three
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 7:29 AM
You need to turn your water main off asap. Your water bill is going to be crazy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mater-three
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Eta: if you turn off your main you should turn off your water heater too or it will burn up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 8:21 AM
in these things he has no experience. he is not mechanically minded and materials science isnt his strong point. so the idea of a leak in concrete that he cant see didnt seem like a total emergency lol.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

No offence but your husband sounds like an idiot. Why in the world would he ignore a big problem like that?

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
You need to call someone ASAP. I used to work for a water restoration company if you have any questions. Something to keep in mind is that most homeowner's insurance policies cover leaks reported in a certain amount of time... but slab leaks are tricky so never admit it is a slab leak and do NOT use the word flood on the phone with the insurance company.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM
fortunately this water heater only serves the washer and one bath. i wish there was valve to turn off the water to and from this heater but they didnt plumb it that way.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 8:38 AM
we learned that another time when another water heater in the house slowly leaked behind a fireplace wall. water damage from a failed appliance was the good phrase. not flooding lol

Quoting quickbooksworm:

You need to call someone ASAP. I used to work for a water restoration company if you have any questions. Something to keep in mind is that most homeowner's insurance policies cover leaks reported in a certain amount of time... but slab leaks are tricky so never admit it is a slab leak and do NOT use the word flood on the phone with the insurance company.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN