Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So effing frustrated!

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:03 PM
  • 19 Replies
Grrrr! Everything had been going great until this afternoon. I went to turn in my computer (which I primarily use for writing), and it made all the startup noises, but nothing would show up on my monitor. Ok...figured out just needed a video card. Of COURSE that didn't work! Called my tech friend, and apparently my motherboard is fried. :-/ Now,I have one competed book, Tenn chapters in another, all of my poetry, and about 20GBs of photos on a hard drive I can't access.

The GOOD news, however, it's that we have three viable options: 1 is to get my boyfriend's mom's old tower and build it to sit my needs, transferring my hard drive to the new tower. 2 involves the same thing, but with a tower we KNOW already works...only catch is that it might be too old. And 3 is to buy a mini laptop for me to use. (We already priced one at a geek shop nearby, and it's a good option if the first two don't work.) Unfortunately, this still means I'll be "roughing it" and handwriting anything I want to add to my book for the next week. It sucks, but at least there's a brighter side...I'm just frustrated that this happens mere WEEKS from us being a deposit on our new apartment. :-/
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RADmomma
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM
That's tough I'm sorry!!
amberNewman0213
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Is it a laptop? Have u tried turning it on in safety mode?
Red_Tempest
by Ginny on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Thanks...I know it'll be ok, but the timing is crappy.

Quoting RADmomma:

That's tough I'm sorry!!
momma7663
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry love it will be ok i pinky promIse
Red_Tempest
by Ginny on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Desktop...and safety mode wouldn't matter if you get no picture to begin with.

Quoting amberNewman0213:

Is it a laptop? Have u tried turning it on in safety mode?
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Does the techie friend know how to access any information though the mother board is fried?   We had a power outage that fried our computer since it was turned on at the time. I was working on scrapbooking.

Red_Tempest
by Ginny on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:10 PM
He said he could of he had access to my computer, but we don't live close to each other, and I'm leaving to go back home (7 hours away, and 9 from him) tomorrow for the holidays.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Does the techie friend know how to access any information though the mother board is fried?   We had a power outage that fried our computer since it was turned on at the time. I was working on scrapbooking.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:18 PM

oh man that is rough.  I wonder if a tablet from walmart would be a better option for now.  I saw some for under 100 dollars.

Mine has all dd's pictures stored so i want to try to find someone to pull that info off for me if possible.

Quoting Red_Tempest:

He said he could of he had access to my computer, but we don't live close to each other, and I'm leaving to go back home (7 hours away, and 9 from him) tomorrow for the holidays.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Red_Tempest
by Ginny on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:30 PM
We discussed that, and I'd really rather have a mini laptop if I get anything. I have a large phone, so it's close enough to a tablet, lol.

Quoting frndlyfn:

oh man that is rough.  I wonder if a tablet from walmart would be a better option for now.  I saw some for under 100 dollars.

Mine has all dd's pictures stored so i want to try to find someone to pull that info off for me if possible.

Quoting Red_Tempest:

Quoting frndlyfn:

momofsixangels
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Hope you can get something working

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)