Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Have you had a family member in hospital?

Posted by   + Show Post

My sister is in the hospital needing surgery right now.  Have you had family members in the hospital? What do you do for them?  I offered to come over but she didn't want me to, at least last night.

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Replies (21-30):
Sam.Smith
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM
If it was my sis she wouldnt have a choice LOL..... I hope everything goes well. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Quoting Bmat:

What a scary time for you both!  It is good to hear that they treated you well.

Good idea- this was my thought also.  In fact my sister called a few minutes ago to ask me to bring some meds that the hospital wants from her, and I asked again about staying, and she replied in a small voice that yes she'd like me there during her surgery for moral support.

Quoting Sam.Smith:

Yes i have. My ex husband had emergence surgery. We were in MO for work and his appendix burst. He had never been in the hospital besides the day he was born. LOL. We were 8hrs from home with no family insight. I had to set there scared to death with no one to comfort me. It was the scariest thing that I had to go thru. Thankgoodness it was an amazing hospital and not just a "band-aid" hospital. They took wonderful care of him and me.

You say ur sis says she doesn't want u up there but it might be she just doesn't want to feel like she is a bother. Go up there she needs you weather she admits it or not. You know us women are stubborn and independent

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Nov. 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom: we did everything we could.  A lot of the time it was taking the grandkids to see her.  We would sit and chat.

My uncle: We saw him when we could.  He was several hours away.

waytomanykids10
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Yes, my adopted 8 month old, he was there for 2 months at the age of 3 months old until he was 5 months old when we got him.

iamcafemom83
by Rah-Rah on Nov. 25, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Yes I have. I stop in and check on them. I bring things. It's good to have someone advocatw for you whike in the hospital.
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Shes 10 now she is ok for the most part. Going in for a stress test she has 2 leaky valves they want to check on with excessive exercise.

Quoting Bmat:

Oh poor baby.  How is your daughter doing?

Quoting DallasCowboys81:

Yep, my dd 4 mths old had open heart. It wad a 8 hr surgery that seemed like it was a week long.

.PilesOfLaundry
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM

yes my husband was just in the hospital for emergnancy hernia surgery,i had my mom watch the kids and get them off to school and i stayed with him the night before and the day of his surgery and helped i've been taking care of him since he's been home,he's doing better today

LLisaA
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Make her something easy to heat up for dinner after she gets home, drop it by and be on your way without lingering if she doesn't seem to want company.  Even if she doesn't want company she'll appreciate a quick and easy meal during her recovery.

Momof697
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM

My husband was in an accident 15 yrs ago and I stayed with him while the neighbor and later my MIL took care of our kids.   A couple years ago My DD needed surgery and I stayed  with her while my Hiusband stayed with our other kids. My MIL took me there and stayed nearby with my Sister in law until my daughter was released. My MIL was in the hospital we visited and gave her a stuffed bear, my FIL was in the hospital and we just visited.

pwaldschmidt
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:05 PM
My ydd had her appendix rupture in January. She turned 4 last December. She was in one hospital from mon-Thursday afternoon then was transferred to a better hospital from Thursday evening to Monday afternoon. They drained her infection then in March they removed what was left of her appendix. It was very difficult. I hated seeing my daughter having 2 surgeries within 2 months. Let alone, my baby.
healingone
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Yes, many times, and have been in hospital quite ill a few times. I think what is so very important for the ill or suffering person is that they get to choose if, how, and when they want to see people.  Being in the hospital is difficult at the best of times, and finding time to rest in between all the things the aids and nurses and doctors have to do can be a challenge.  Feeling like one has to interact with visitors who want to help can also be a stretch.  Everyone is different, and some folks like company, others don't.  I usually find something the person will ilke or use in the hospital or at home to gift, never flowers, sometimes a plant that has a chance of living.  Sometimes the simplest of things can be a blessing.  A new, washed pair of PJ's, a warming blanket from home so that everything doesn't seem foreign, etc. What's important is that the person knows you care and want to be there for them when they want to reach out.  Blessings, sister!!!                  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN