Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Have you had a family member in hospital?

Posted by   + Show Post

My sister is in the hospital needing surgery right now.  Have you had family members in the hospital? What do you do for them?  I offered to come over but she didn't want me to, at least last night.

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Replies (31-40):
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe that was it. I did go just before her surgery so she'd know that someone what there for her, and she was happy to see me. I am glad I went also so that I could talk with the surgeon and the nurses. I think anybody having surgery needs someone there,  when a person is coming out of anesthesia they don't really comprehend what people are saying to them.

Quoting MommaVoo:

she MIGHT be telling you not to come out of guilt, I would stop by and bring her something nice and see if she melts and lets you be there.

Quoting Bmat:

What a dreadful time for you BIL.  It is amazing that his brain is working well. 

Thank you, I'll try to do this. My sister doesn't have anyone other than myself and our disabled Mom.

Quoting MommaVoo:

BIL drowned this year(survived) and ended up losing both his legs below the knee, he has since turned 18 so very young. He was in the hospital for weeks, touch and go at first as he was in an induced coma because he wasn't breathing for 3 minutes before they revived him. He is doing fairly well and will be fitted with legs soon and seems to have zero brain issues fromt he 3 min plus coma. We live on the other side of the US so werent able to do much but offer our support from a far. Got tickets for my MIL to come out and see her first granddaughter be born and have a small vacation. 

The best thing you can do is just be there for all involved and help with whatever is needed.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you. I am glad I went over, not only for her sake but because I was worried about her and also I was able to talk to the surgeon and the nurses.

Quoting Sam.Smith:

If it was my sis she wouldnt have a choice LOL..... I hope everything goes well. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Quoting Bmat:

What a scary time for you both!  It is good to hear that they treated you well.

Good idea- this was my thought also.  In fact my sister called a few minutes ago to ask me to bring some meds that the hospital wants from her, and I asked again about staying, and she replied in a small voice that yes she'd like me there during her surgery for moral support.

Quoting Sam.Smith:

Yes i have. My ex husband had emergence surgery. We were in MO for work and his appendix burst. He had never been in the hospital besides the day he was born. LOL. We were 8hrs from home with no family insight. I had to set there scared to death with no one to comfort me. It was the scariest thing that I had to go thru. Thankgoodness it was an amazing hospital and not just a "band-aid" hospital. They took wonderful care of him and me.

You say ur sis says she doesn't want u up there but it might be she just doesn't want to feel like she is a bother. Go up there she needs you weather she admits it or not. You know us women are stubborn and independent

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Poor baby. I hope he is OK now?

Quoting waytomanykids10:

Yes, my adopted 8 month old, he was there for 2 months at the age of 3 months old until he was 5 months old when we got him.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM

This is something I'd forgotten about,  and now I wish that I'd have gone sooner.  At least I was there before she went into surgery and then was able to talk to the surgeon and the other medical people when she was in recovery and then kept her company until it was time to leave.

Quoting iamcafemom83:

Yes I have. I stop in and check on them. I bring things. It's good to have someone advocatw for you whike in the hospital.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I wish her good results on the stress test.  She is in my prayers.

Quoting DallasCowboys81:

Shes 10 now she is ok for the most part. Going in for a stress test she has 2 leaky valves they want to check on with excessive exercise.

Quoting Bmat:

Oh poor baby.  How is your daughter doing?

Quoting DallasCowboys81:

Yep, my dd 4 mths old had open heart. It wad a 8 hr surgery that seemed like it was a week long.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I am glad he is doing better. And he'll be home for Thanksgiving.

Quoting .PilesOfLaundry:

yes my husband was just in the hospital for emergnancy hernia surgery,i had my mom watch the kids and get them off to school and i stayed with him the night before and the day of his surgery and helped i've been taking care of him since he's been home,he's doing better today

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:54 PM

This is a great idea!  I'll do this. And with Thanksgiving coming up I should have plenty that I can put in freezer containers for her.

Quoting LLisaA:

Make her something easy to heat up for dinner after she gets home, drop it by and be on your way without lingering if she doesn't seem to want company.  Even if she doesn't want company she'll appreciate a quick and easy meal during her recovery.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM

My sister was hospitalized for nearly a month when her intestine basically knotted itself. There was not much I could do. I did take her kids as often as I could but we lived over an hour away and they had school....

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Oh my goodness!  Such a little one to have such appendix trouble! Is she all recovered now?

Quoting pwaldschmidt:

My ydd had her appendix rupture in January. She turned 4 last December. She was in one hospital from mon-Thursday afternoon then was transferred to a better hospital from Thursday evening to Monday afternoon. They drained her infection then in March they removed what was left of her appendix. It was very difficult. I hated seeing my daughter having 2 surgeries within 2 months. Let alone, my baby.

waytomanykids10
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM

He is doing ok but has a lot of  health and physical problems.

Quoting Bmat:

Poor baby. I hope he is OK now?

Quoting waytomanykids10:

Yes, my adopted 8 month old, he was there for 2 months at the age of 3 months old until he was 5 months old when we got him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)