Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Have you had a family member in hospital?

Posted by   + Show Post

My sister is in the hospital needing surgery right now.  Have you had family members in the hospital? What do you do for them?  I offered to come over but she didn't want me to, at least last night.

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Replies (41-50):
Bmat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM

You've had a number of family members in the hospital.  There were no facilities for staying with my sister, not a reclining chair even.

Quoting Momof697:

My husband was in an accident 15 yrs ago and I stayed with him while the neighbor and later my MIL took care of our kids.   A couple years ago My DD needed surgery and I stayed  with her while my Hiusband stayed with our other kids. My MIL took me there and stayed nearby with my Sister in law until my daughter was released. My MIL was in the hospital we visited and gave her a stuffed bear, my FIL was in the hospital and we just visited.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Thank you. And Thank you for the suggestions. I understand that interacting with visitors isn't always desirable. I'll check in my sister's place tomorrow if there is something that she'd find comforting. Good idea.

Quoting healingone:

Yes, many times, and have been in hospital quite ill a few times. I think what is so very important for the ill or suffering person is that they get to choose if, how, and when they want to see people.  Being in the hospital is difficult at the best of times, and finding time to rest in between all the things the aids and nurses and doctors have to do can be a challenge.  Feeling like one has to interact with visitors who want to help can also be a stretch.  Everyone is different, and some folks like company, others don't.  I usually find something the person will ilke or use in the hospital or at home to gift, never flowers, sometimes a plant that has a chance of living.  Sometimes the simplest of things can be a blessing.  A new, washed pair of PJ's, a warming blanket from home so that everything doesn't seem foreign, etc. What's important is that the person knows you care and want to be there for them when they want to reach out.  Blessings, sister!!!                  

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Your poor sister! It sounds as though you did what you could for her.

Quoting SuperPickle:

My sister was hospitalized for nearly a month when her intestine basically knotted itself. There was not much I could do. I did take her kids as often as I could but we lived over an hour away and they had school....

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I'll keep him in my prayers.

Quoting waytomanykids10:

He is doing ok but has a lot of  health and physical problems.

Quoting Bmat:

Poor baby. I hope he is OK now?

Quoting waytomanykids10:

Yes, my adopted 8 month old, he was there for 2 months at the age of 3 months old until he was 5 months old when we got him.

mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM
My mom was in the hospital an rehabilitation center for a combined two months and we went daily to see her normally.
My son did a 7 day stay in the nicu when he was born as well. He's doing great almost 8 years later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pwaldschmidt
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Yes she is. We had no idea what was wrong with her. She wouldn't eat, drink, screamed when she would go potty... just not her active self. The doctors said they rarely see children as young as her with a ruptured appendix. It was terrible. I know the horrible things that can happen if a ruptured appendix going untreated for so long.

Quoting Bmat:

Oh my goodness!  Such a little one to have such appendix trouble! Is she all recovered now?

Quoting pwaldschmidt:

My ydd had her appendix rupture in January. She turned 4 last December. She was in one hospital from mon-Thursday afternoon then was transferred to a better hospital from Thursday evening to Monday afternoon. They drained her infection then in March they removed what was left of her appendix. It was very difficult. I hated seeing my daughter having 2 surgeries within 2 months. Let alone, my baby.

DallasCowboys81
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you ;)

Quoting Bmat:

I wish her good results on the stress test.  She is in my prayers.

Quoting DallasCowboys81:

Shes 10 now she is ok for the most part. Going in for a stress test she has 2 leaky valves they want to check on with excessive exercise.

Quoting Bmat:

Oh poor baby.  How is your daughter doing?

Quoting DallasCowboys81:

Yep, my dd 4 mths old had open heart. It wad a 8 hr surgery that seemed like it was a week long.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I'm glad to hear your son is doing so well. :)

Quoting mommyof11050307:

My mom was in the hospital an rehabilitation center for a combined two months and we went daily to see her normally.
My son did a 7 day stay in the nicu when he was born as well. He's doing great almost 8 years later.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I'm glad she is all better. I've heard that ruptured appendix is a very bad thing. :(

Quoting pwaldschmidt:

Yes she is. We had no idea what was wrong with her. She wouldn't eat, drink, screamed when she would go potty... just not her active self. The doctors said they rarely see children as young as her with a ruptured appendix. It was terrible. I know the horrible things that can happen if a ruptured appendix going untreated for so long.

Quoting Bmat:

Oh my goodness!  Such a little one to have such appendix trouble! Is she all recovered now?

Quoting pwaldschmidt:

My ydd had her appendix rupture in January. She turned 4 last December. She was in one hospital from mon-Thursday afternoon then was transferred to a better hospital from Thursday evening to Monday afternoon. They drained her infection then in March they removed what was left of her appendix. It was very difficult. I hated seeing my daughter having 2 surgeries within 2 months. Let alone, my baby.

goodnightmama
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I have had my grandmother (both of them) in the hospital, my grandfather (both of them) my aunt, my husband's grandmother, and my youngest son. Both my grandmother's died in the hospital, one of my grandfathers was diagnosed with brain tumors and didn't make it, my other grandfather was for a stroke and heart attacks and falls and alzheimers, he is still with us for now. My aunt has been multiple times for her diabetes. My son was diagnosed diabetic at 16 months and has been recently diagnosed with epilepsy. What I did was visit when they wanted me to and support them either from home or the hospital any way I could.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)