Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ugh...No dodging that bullet...

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:21 AM
  • 33 Replies

I was so hoping we wouldn't have to deal with DH's family for Thanksgiving. Neither of us really like being around them.

Scratch that, NO ONE in the family likes being around them. MIL's brothers and sisters and FIL's sisters and mother.....none of them like being around them at all.

But alas, she called us at 8:00 last night to tell us that dinner would be at 6:00 Thursday and to bring dessert.

We were both hoping they wouldn't even call.

by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RADmomma
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:22 AM
I'm sorry. Tell them you have previous plans!??
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I didn't talk to her. DH did. I would have told her that if I had talked to her.

Quoting RADmomma:

I'm sorry. Tell them you have previous plans!??

SylviaNCali
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Is it possible to just show up for an hour and leave?

CafeMom Tickers
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Keep family connections open when possible.  Go, be gracious, and leave as soon as you can. :)

dingysfamily
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM

So, you can't say you already have other plans?  It is rather late notice for her to call like that.

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM

This is the plan.

Quoting SylviaNCali:

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM

You don't know these people...lol.

We're close to every single other member of his family, just not them. The crap they've put DH through, and then me, and now my babies....We hate being in the same room with them. I'll hear the whole time we're there about how my kids mean nothing to them. I'll hear how they don't look like my husband and how I must have cheated on him (never). I'll hear how much they do for us (absolutely nothing, but they lie and tell everyone THEY pay our bills, lol) and they can't figure out why we don't come around more (they're NEVER home, even when they call and ask us to come over, we'll get there and they'll be gone..so we leave).

Quoting Bmat:

Keep family connections open when possible.  Go, be gracious, and leave as soon as you can. :)

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I would have told her we already had plans, DH talked to her.

But we honestly don't have plans. My family is doing everything on Friday.

Quoting dingysfamily:

So, you can't say you already have other plans?  It is rather late notice for her to call like that.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

:(  I see what you mean. :(   A very bad time - how sad. :(

Quoting IncognitoOne:

You don't know these people...lol.

We're close to every single other member of his family, just not them. The crap they've put DH through, and then me, and now my babies....We hate being in the same room with them. I'll hear the whole time we're there about how my kids mean nothing to them. I'll hear how they don't look like my husband and how I must have cheated on him (never). I'll hear how much they do for us (absolutely nothing, but they lie and tell everyone THEY pay our bills, lol) and they can't figure out why we don't come around more (they're NEVER home, even when they call and ask us to come over, we'll get there and they'll be gone..so we leave).

Quoting Bmat:

taKENheart
by Flovely on Nov. 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Great idea!
I'd find a way out of it but I'm a big ol' meanie, lol!

Quoting SylviaNCali:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)