Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I need Christmas ideas for my elderly mom?

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM
  • 91 Replies

She has fragile health.  She isn't interested in lap blankets, or slippers.  I've given her grocery gcs before, since she doesn't want anything that sits around.  Cash goes over OK, also. But there must be something I am missing that I could get for her?

by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Molimomma
by Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Does she have any hobbies like knitting? My sis loves to knit so last year I got her a tote bag with pockets for needles, some cute stitch markers off etsy, some yarn, etc.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. No, no crafts, but she does like to read.  I tried to get her a kindle, but she isn't interested. My sister brings her books from the library. She used to do crosswords but quit.  Reading and watching TV is about it. :(

danandsamsmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Restaurant gift certificates?

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 6:12 PM

This is a possibility. Thanks.  I wish I could think of something she could upwrap.  I've tried getting her pjs before, but she may or may not like them. 

Quoting danandsamsmom:

Restaurant gift certificates?

danandsamsmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

A framed picture of the grandkids?

danandsamsmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I have the same problem with my parents.  They are elderly and don't have a lot of hobbies.  It is always a challenge to buy gifts for them!

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

It is, and we want to get them something they'll enjoy.  My sons get her pictures of the grandkids, and she has them on her wall. She has a cat that she loves.....hmm, I have heated catbeds for my cats, maybe this would be something to get her.

Quoting danandsamsmom:

I have the same problem with my parents.  They are elderly and don't have a lot of hobbies.  It is always a challenge to buy gifts for them!

danandsamsmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I bet she would love that!  

My mom likes good chocolate, like Godiva, but is too frugal to buy it for herself...that sometimes works for her.  

Quoting Bmat:

It is, and we want to get them something they'll enjoy.  My sons get her pictures of the grandkids, and she has them on her wall. She has a cat that she loves.....hmm, I have heated catbeds for my cats, maybe this would be something to get her.

Quoting danandsamsmom:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Something for her cat may be the way to go .  It is hard when someone becomes elderly since they have seen so much in their life that not much will appeal to them.  Does she have a lap table thing where she can put a beverage and whatever reading materials she wants?

RADmomma
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Does she drink coffee or tea? Cocoa?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN