Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

On here requesting prayers and/or good thoughts. (last update....she's gone)

Posted by   + Show Post

Bryce's (my youngest-he's 10)god-mother is really sick,and it came on fast.On Tuesday of this week we basically spent all day with her...and she was fine.Had a little cold (you know-sniffles,coughing.She wasn't even running a fever.Didn't seem to be much to worry about.)

Her family called us this morning to tell us that she was having a hard time breathing and that the coughing was like 1000x worse.So,I sent hubby to their apartment with the car to see about getting her to a doctor. I'm glad I did!

She is now in the ICU and isolated.The doctors are not quite sure WHAT is wrong yet...they said it looks like a new strain of tuberculosis.It's bad enough that she was placed in a medically induced coma and they are allowing one family member(at a time) in to see her for 5 minutes every 4 hours.

I'm supposed to take my kids in to be tested for whaterver it is tomorrow.They have already tested me and my hubby,her hubby and their daughter. Holy hell!! Her family is freaking out and her hubby keeps calling me(my hubby spent most of the day at hospital with them)on the phone crying....frown mini

Prayers please!Hoping against hope that she will be ok....the doctors said if we hadn't taken her in she would have died!Whatever this stuff is it is causing her lungs to bleed internally.They put a breathing tube in almost 6 hours ago....Sorry if I'm rambling,still in a state of shock.

Things are looking bad,mommas! Her heart isn't being able to beat strong enough to keep her blood oxgenized....she's coded once this morning.

Her heart is only working at a 25% right now. Her nurse explained that she is basically drowning in her own blood,that's what the rattling/wheezing is when she tries to breathe.(Sorry,TMI)By now,the doctors have said they are just trying to keep her alive long enough for her youngest to get here.(He is 13 and lives in Bolivia with his grandparents.)To give him a chance to say good bye....I feel so bad for her family.

Her prognosis is just getting worse by the day .Her kidneys are failing.They've been loading her up on IV fluids,the doctors are concerned because now her body isn't eliminating it at all (she is not peeing,tmi)They've changed her urine bag only 4x since Friday! We have to keep chasing her hubby out of the hospital,so he can go lay down for a little while.He won't be help to anyone if he collapses from exhaustion.Their 16 year old daughter is just wandering around vacant eyed and teary....Damn,this sucks. 

P.s. There is a little bit of good news though.The doctors didn't think she would make it this long.So,they are holding out a bit more hope than they were yesterday.

She passed away at 10:55 p.m. last night.Her daughter broke down in hysterics when they were trying to remove the body(take her to the morgue)We ended up sitting in the hospital until almost2:00 a.m.,trying to calm her daughter down.At around lunch time yesterday they figured out what was wrong with her also.She had a staph infection in her lungs-it got into her bloodstream and that is finally what killed her.Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers.Her youngest will be arriving tonight--at around 10:30 p.m.

Thought for the day :

Women are angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible that way.

by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Replies (41-50):
MommaVoo
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I am so sorry hun, its a terrible thing when nothing can be done and even worse when you dont have all the answers. My BIL(17 at the time) drowned this year and was not breathing for 3 minutes. He was put into a coma and kidneys failed, nearly died but he actually made it.. they just had no idea why a 17 yr old kid could drown after swimming for max 5 minutes. They finally got him stabilized and found out he had some werid thing that created golf ball sized clots in his legs. They were able to aputate both below the knee and he is now being fitted for dual prosthetics. Medicine is crazy.. sometimes the can figure it out in time and other times that just cant. I really hope they can save her but if your husband is correct you need to be strong for her husband and daughter. My thought will be with you.

Quoting brandyblx:

Nope.The doctor said that the only thing showing a faint "positive" is tuberculosis and they are not sure if it is a new strain of that disease or if her body is just reacting poorly to the disease....(that is the reason she is still in isolation.We can only go in one at a time for 5 minutes every 6 hours)

My hubby just called me from the hospital (went to see her after he got off work) he said it seems like everything is peaking right now.The doctor asked him to go get Ella (their 16 year old) and bring her back quick.My hubby is under the impression that Ivonne is going to pass away this morning.crying mini

Quoting MommaVoo:

did they ever figure out WHY this is happening?

CafeMom Tickers
Sportbominable
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Prayers coming. Is she an older lady? My mom had TB when she was in her 20's. She survived but had part of her lung removed. It has never affected her. 

Schaiswife09
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM

so sorry :( I will be keeping you all in my prayers!

dewh2007
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM
So sorry :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 12:34 PM

BUMP!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:33 PM
by Emerald Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Big hugs to you all
So sorry for your loss ;(

IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on Dec. 3, 2013 at 1:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm so sorry for your loss :( Prayers for the family.

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Today is turning out to be a LONG day.I've been up all night with Ella (16 year old)I get home at around 4:30a.m.-I wanted to make sure my younger 2 got something hot before they left for school.(No,I did not leave my younger boys by themselves.They were with the 17 year old)Once the kids left for school I tried to sleep for a little while.They (mostly Ella)are calling us every couple of hours....I wish there was more we could do.Her family needs us right now,so I'm hoping my hubby can handle it while I'm at work.crying mini

mamamiajk
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Hi Brandy Still praying and hoping for the best!hugs

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Oh no.  I am so very sorry to hear this. A staph infection!  Do they know how it got there? If they had known sooner would it have made a difference?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN