Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My fiance and I are not very well off financially.  We are doing our ceremony at the justice of the peace, and will probably go out to dinner afterwards somewhere locally. We want to invite close family and friends to the reception, and to the dinner afterwards... but I'm not sure how to word the invitations to let the guests know we expect them to pay for their own meal. I don't want to word it in such a way that people think they need to come to the dinner, because they don't. I don't want anyone to feel pressured into it, but I certainly can't afford to feed everyone either.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE :)

by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
april678
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I got married this summer, and it was at a campsite
10_10_10
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM
If you invite someone, you pay.
Pnukey
by Jennifer on Nov. 30, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Quoting 10_10_10:

If you invite someone, you pay.

Yes, this is what I was always taught, too.

OP, there is no way to word it w/o sounding at least a bit rude.

"Join us after the ceremony at ***.  Order what you want, since you're paying."

Pnukey
by Jennifer on Nov. 30, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Quoting beadingmom17:

Maybe something like "the bride and groom will be dining at ______ after the ceremony! In liu of gifts, we would love if you could come dine with us!"

That sounds like an invitation, and the person who does the inviting also pays.

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Nov. 30, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, re-reading it, it's not clear. It was almost 1am when I answered, lol.

Quoting Pnukey:

Quoting beadingmom17:

Maybe something like "the bride and groom will be dining at ______ after the ceremony! In liu of gifts, we would love if you could come dine with us!"

That sounds like an invitation, and the person who does the inviting also pays.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
10_10_10
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Ha ha ha! Order what you want, since you're paying.
Thus is the best laugh I've had onCM! lol

Quoting Pnukey:Quoting 10_10_10:If you invite someone, you pay.Yes, this is what I was always taught, too.OP, there is no way to word it w/o sounding at least a bit rude."Join us after the ceremony at ***.  Order what you want, since you're paying."
contrarymary7
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Quoting beadingmom17:

This sounds like it is what you want to convey to them.
Stevensmomma
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Just invite to the ceremony and don't put reception on the invite and after your married just say would you like to go out and eat with us 

RoseWall
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:57 PM

even apartments usually have a club house or other area where familys can gather. nothing like that there at all? or you just want to rule that out

Quoting ashmarie08:

At home isn't an option. We rent an apartment.

mysticatgal
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:12 AM
I would just do word of mouth or something so you can convey that you are going out to eat and they can come if they understand they are paying. I agree with others that any other way people are going to expect their meal paid for especially since most other bride and groom couples do pay. Could you do a pizza restaurant so it's not as bad to pay for people to join?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)