Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do you feel about kids at house parties?

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi,  My name is Jess.  I live in a small party town in Idaho with my husband and 6 year old son,  and we are expecting another little guy in April.    I am the youngest mother in this small town,  which can be kind of a pain honestly.   I don't feel connected to any of the other moms.    They all seem to drink and party alot.  They also seem to takes there kids to parties with them.    Any time that I have gone to a house party around here.  There seems to be a bunch of kids hanging out with the drunk adults.   The same kids that go to school with my son,  and it makes me really uncomfortable.  I find my self avoiding the moms around here more and more because of it.   They invite me to come hangout with them and they always say,  feel free to bring your son, but of course I don't ever go cuz I don't feel right about having my son around that kind of thing.   Part of me wonders if I should lighten up about the issue and just go with it,  but a bigger part of me just doesn't agree with there cavalier way of exposing there young children to such things.   Am I wrong for being against it?

by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM

THEIR  .......  Do you know if they do any hang out times w/o alcohol involved?   I personally am not a partier myself so i connect better with the parents that take children to the park or library.  We have a few childrens cafes here that are part cafe part play area for children.

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:48 PM

It depends on the age of the kids. 

I often host parties (which as I get older just seem to be us standing around in good clothes and talking) and my kids are there too. If other kids come they are put in the play room to have their own little thing. Sometimes they will come out and dance with us.  

Drinking a little isn't that bad. As long as no one is getting shitfaced drunk. 

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Seems trashy to me. There is a huge difference between having friends over to hang out, watch a football game, cookout, have a few beers, etc. and having a PARTY. I don't have any issue with drinking around children, I do have issues with getting drunk around children. Especially if everyone is drunk.
Smalltownmom87
by New Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:58 AM

There aren't alot of options for children around here.  There are only 60 to 70 people living here in the winter. I think the oldest child still in school here is 12 years old so the ones that I've seen at these parties are pretty young, 6 to 8 years i would say.    I'm not saying having a beer or 2 with them around is bad.  Around here it's almost an every night thing. There is always a party somewhere, and the people around here drink, and drink alot!  It seems to me that these parents just don't want to give up there party ways for there kids well being.  Anyone who has ever been to a big party  know's there is alot more then just drinking going on there, and not everyone can handle their alcohal well. There are also alot of people with out kids that don't care what people see them do.   What kind of influence is that for a young child of any age?  Everything we try to protect our children from is usually happening at these parties .   The way I see it is if I can't find a baby sitter, then I'm not going to the party.  That's just part of being a responsable parent.  It's not all about us anymore when children come into the picture.  

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I would search out Moms via Church or volunteering at the school! Good Luck!

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)